Jacob Brothers Piano Info?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by a dixon, Dec 15, 2020.

1. a dixon

a dixon New Member

I have a Jacob Brothers piano with serial number of 11993 on the plate the strings attach to inside of it. This piano was in my house when I bought it. I did some research and Jacob brothers stopped making pianos in 1955 from what I understand. I then called the local Piano shop for more info and she looked into it and believes it was made between 1880-1885. All the keys work, the finish is flaking and fading but could easily be restored ... I’m wondering if anyone has any concrete info on this piano or maybe what it’s possibly worth and how to go about getting it appraised???

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Would you be kind enough to post a photograph?

Debora

kyratango and i need help like this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Assuming it is an upright, the piano atlas says:

Jacob Bros.

Manufactured: 1878 - 1905

Made in: United States

Founded: United States, New York, 1878

Current status: Out of production

Online Piano Atlas

You can calculate it yourself with this link

i need help likes this.
  4. a dixon

a dixon New Member

I am trying to upload images of it but the website says they are to large to attach

5. a dixon

a dixon New Member

It is an upright piano ... I’d love to post pictures but the website says my images are too large

6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Email photos to yourself as Medium, upload those.

7. a dixon

a dixon New Member

I emailed the images to myself then tried to upload them and it says the image is still to large

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  8. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

i need help likes this.
  9. a dixon

a dixon New Member

1A86DE98-01C3-440F-A2DB-5390EBBFA8F6.jpeg 1B31CD4B-BE06-454E-9715-D05053110741.jpeg B7BAE99A-4BB7-4ACA-9AB0-0B1753265FBC.jpeg Ok thank you! Here are the images

10. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

11. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

A few years ago there was a story in our local paper about a piano found sitting on a deserted, wooded lot. Apparently someone couldn't get rid of it so they just left it somewhere.

Luckily the story prompted someone to give it a good home :)

Pianos are heavy, expensive to move and difficult to find homes for. Have you tried contacting local schools, youth organizations, etc.? You may have to give it away but hopefully you can find someone who will love and use it.

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

This piano was in my house when I bought it.

and that pretty much says it all...........

13. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Good luck; I saw a sad story recently that mentioned the garbage dumps in one area, I believe Vancouver BC, receive about three pianos per day.
    Some old pianos may have value, but for a great many, the cost of repair or even to tune or to move them exceeds their value; and the majority of people tend to buy electronic keyboards these days. Even ads for "free piano" often go unanswered.

komokwa likes this.
  14. komokwa

It's sad to think that the legs couldn't be used for a table...the old keys couldn't be used in some manner, and the metal couldn't be recycled...

all_fakes likes this.
  15. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

The last piano I got which was about 7 weeks ago we broke up.
    It took two of us with sledge hammers, axes and wrecking bars about 90 minutes.
    The cast iron frame inside is shaped like a Harp.
    The metal realised £9.70 :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

komokwa and all_fakes like this.
  16. komokwa

were the keys ivory.....?

17. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Most keys are Pine wood with a very thin veneer of Ivory, not solid like I thought years ago.

komokwa likes this.
  18. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

We had an upright piano that had been in Ms. Ghopper's family since 1892, a wedding gift from her great grandfather to her great grandmother. Cased in rosewood, weighed about 800 pounds. Needed about $1K of tuning and some new keys. Beautiful, but neither of us play, so it was basically a huge paperweight.

No relatives wanted it, and there were no responses for "free pianos." We ended up paying a crew over $300 to haul it out of the house.

Thus, as Komo alluded to above, it was left behind in the O.P.'s house. People don't leave treasures behind, but plenty of folks are lazy enough to leave a piano behind so that it becomes somebody else's problem.

komokwa likes this.
  19. komokwa

So, I'm guessing these are from an older make ...or a more expensive model......:)

IMG_3724.JPG IMG_3727.JPG

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  20. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Those Harlequin ducks are the bomb!

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted