Featured Iwatsu Field Phone…age and in Japanese/English?

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Studio Antiques, Mar 14, 2024.

1. Studio Antiques

Studio Antiques Well-Known Member

IMG_9938.jpeg IMG_9939.jpeg IMG_9940.jpeg IMG_9941.jpeg IMG_9942.jpeg Good morning everyone! We have this field phone that appears to be made by Iwatsu. Wondering if you can help with age? Perhaps the 1970s? I find it fascinating that it is in both Japanese and in English. Does that mean that it was used in both countries? Cannot find the field phone by its identification number. Anything you can help with it will be greatly appreciated.TIA

stracci, komokwa and Marote like this.
  2. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 14, 2024
    komokwa likes this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

00000aaaa.jpg

I would guess the 63 is the date. I doubt this was military.

4. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

On Ebay there's a PT-81, with the info that it's from the 50s, but no idea if that's correct. The instructions for that phone are for the PT-81, PT-81s, PT-82 and PT-82s, so possibly the number is really just the model no. And PT seems to be 'Portable Telephone'
    I concur
    On X there's this PT-72,
    EILeZM7WoAAyOF0.jpg with this text (according to Google Translate):
    "Mobile phone PT-72
    Unlike today's mobile phones, they were created at the time to serve as a means of communication at construction sites, etc., and for power/railway-related maintenance communications. This is a telephone that is carried around the premises and used by connecting to an installed line."

And of course there's a year mentioned on the signs of the other 3 phones, and not on the PT sign :rolleyes:

5. Studio Antiques

You’re awesome! THANK YOU!

Marote likes this.
  6. Studio Antiques

Thank you to everyone!!

Marote and komokwa like this.
  7. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

:shy::joyful:

Draft saved Draft deleted