Ivory or bone ?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by johnnycb09, Aug 7, 2015.

1. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Hi all. Picked these up today thinking the smaller one was a netsuke ,but I cant figure out if they are bone or ivory. The smaller one is 1 in high,the other is 2 1/2. It was a bag full of camels,some pewter,some plastic,but these two were what caught my eye. Many thanks in advance. DSCN3375.JPG DSCN3377.JPG

2. johnnycb09

Other pics.... DSCN3378.JPG DSCN3382.JPG

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Johnny,
    I first one is ivory. The second I am not sure since your camera focused on the small part.
    greg

4. johnnycb09

Thanks Greg ! Is this pic better ? (2nd one) DSCN3384.JPG

5. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

My gut-feeling is that they're both probably ivory.

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Not probably !!! Certainly !
    & the holes in the 1st camel.......Netsuke !

jackolin likes this.
  7. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

I didn't wanna say 'yes', because I didn't have them in my hands - the only way I'd ever be 100% certain, of course. But the signs I see on them would make me say that they are.

Bakersgma likes this.
  8. komokwa

As an art dealer I've had 25+ years of looking at photo's , & having things in my hand.
    Sure I can't be 100% sure of any pic, but I can at the same time be certain of what I'm seeing.
    It's the experience that comes from handling objects......and looking at 1000's upon 1000's of photo's of the items I've handled.

Somethings I've never had in my hand, but only seen pictures of ......well those are the things that I know what I think they should be.....but can't say 100% ...until I've sniffed one or two of em ! ;):):)

9. Logan09

Logan09 New Member

As others have said, definitely Ivory. You can see the Schreger lines quite well.

10. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Johnny,
    Sorry so long getting back to you. I feel very strongly that they are both ivory and the first one is a netsuke.
    greg

johnnycb09 likes this.
  11. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The first isn't a functional netsuke, nor an old one. It might be modern ivory carved to look the part. There may be holes, but they're not right for their purpose. A cord with a knot on the end passes through a netsuke. It passes through a small hole and comes out through larger hole that then accommodates the knot.

Neither seems particularly well carved to me.

afantiques likes this.
  12. komokwa

Neither is going to win any awards !

13. johnnycb09

Many thanks for all the responses ! I don't nor have I ever thought them "high art" but they are fun,especially the little seated one. I like them for what they are,middling pieces of ivory. :)

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted