I've got me a "Fake No.1"

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Miscstuff, Apr 1, 2021.

1. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Bought this lots of steins for a total of $41AU recently because of curiosity about the one in the middle engraved with an 1807 inscription as well as a 1961 one.
    a.jpg
    Research on the 1708 date on the makers mark under the lid led me to the late Stephen Smiths website and "Pewter rules for dummies".
    https://www.steveonsteins.com/pewter-rules-for-dummies/
    Looks like I've got a No.1 "Antique fake antique" stein probably made late Victorian early Edwardian eras for the American market. I think the 1961 engraving is genuine but wonder if they knew it was a fake back then.
    Data 24cm High, base 12.7cm Diameter, 1.24Kg

1s.jpg 2s.jpg 3s.jpg 4s.jpg 5s.jpg 6s.jpg

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Looks to me like the date is 1801. The site says a 7 should not be crossed. The number doesn't look crossed to me, whether it's a one or a seven.

Miscstuff likes this.
  3. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

curiosity killed the cat...
    it goes without saying that a name like Rossenkranz - although it would be Rosenkranz - was aimed at the American market.
    also the traces of lathe-turning on the bottom and especially the flanging and the white acid remains on one of the lids are no good signs.

Miscstuff likes this.