Featured I've got a really good feeling about this one

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Brian Warshaw, Jul 10, 2024.

1. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

Pottery began in Britany in the Gallo-Roman time 1 BC to 5 AD, but a modern pottery came along in 1690 when a southern French potter of renown. Jean Baptiste Bousquet, moved north and established a pottery in Quimper. His reign at the “Grande Maison” almost 100 years before an employee broke loose and created what became known as the Porquier factory.

In 1778 a third faiencerie was founded by Guillaume Dumaine that primarily produced stoneware; but later, in 1884, 18-year old Jules Heriot took over management of the factory. After he assumed directorship he adopted his forst mark, "HR". "H" fir Heriot, "R" after his wife's maiden name It then became known as the Heriot factory. The start of the Heriot Dynasty.

According to Ann Marie O'Neill's book Quimper Pottery, Dumaine's factory occasionally decorated it's wares in a "simple and primitive
    manner." O'Neill also suggests that it was sometime between 1860 and 1870 that the Grande Maison started marking their products with an “HB”.

It is my contention that between 1870 and 1884+ when Jules Heriot joined Dumaine, that Dumaine produced this plate and signed it "D".

I have read @KylieS - French pottery - Quimper fakes? and have not been able to find any marks relating to Guillaume Dumaine.

Your thoughts please.

Is it Quimper B.jpg

Bumpy bottom and rim which O'Neill suggests is caused by a rough wood mould. Sign of age.
    Is it Quimper C.jpg

Is it Quimper M.jpg

Is it Quimper G.jpg

Is it Quimper H.jpg

Mark Dx and crazing top and bottom (quite large craing blocks)
    Is it Quimper D.jpg

Chip showing red clay
    Is it Quimper F.jpg

Is it Quimper J.jpg

Is it Quimper K.jpg

A clumsy drop of something on top of the glaze
    Is it Quimper A.jpg

Thank you.

2. Brian Warshaw

I can't see it by eye or loop; but I did reviewing Photo 2 [back of plate]. There is some sort of makers mark; but unable to read. Looks like a "P" at the top.

Is it QuimperOOOOOOO.jpg

Is it QuimperOOOOOOO.jpg

Chinoiserie and bercrystal like this.
  3. Brian Warshaw

I was totally wrong in my suppositions, however, I've [still] got a really good feeling about this one. I wrote to the Quimper Pottery Museum, and they responded within four hours.

"Hello Sir,

Thank you. The curator cleared up my doubt. We are on a production of Desvres (shapes + colors + the D). So not from Quimper!

It is well made. Nice piece.

Have a great day.
    Best regards,"
    @Any Jewelry
    @NewEngland
    @moreotherstuff
    @Marote
    @Roaring20s

So next visit off to Desvres.

Figtree3, Marote, trip98 and 3 others like this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Thanks for the tag, but it looks like you already know a lot more about this than I do. Nice piece.

Figtree3, Marote, Chinoiserie and 2 others like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Thank you for the update, Brian. It is a charming piece anyway.:)

6. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

Nice. I like a bit of Quimper. If ever I see any I am inclined to buy it. Never had a huge success selling it though. Maybe its the cheap repros that I am getting. I seem to remember one piece had Dx on it. I think it was a mustard pot. It was very pretty but again sold for not a lot. Maybe it was Desvres...

Marote and Brian Warshaw like this.
  7. Brian Warshaw

Let the truth be known - It was a good feeling I had.

Malicorne Plate

The plate was produced in Malicorne, [South of Calais] in Sarthe. It bears the initials LD for (Gustave) Leroy Dubois and has a Nivernais decoration called “aux pêcheurs de la Loire”. It was probably made between 1901 and 1914.

Nivernais is a historic region of France, in contact with Berry, Bourbonnais and Burgundy, practically corresponding to the current department of Nièvre.

Information thanks to the Directrice du Musée de la Céramique - Devres

@Any Jewelry
    @NewEngland
    @moreotherstuff
    @Marote
    @Roaring20s
    @Poppies

More plates by the same decorator/potter: https://placedelours.superforum.fr/t31712-assiettes-gustave-leroy-dubois-malicorne-1899-1918

Last edited: Jul 23, 2024 at 3:58 AM
  8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Excellent information. Maybe a bit later than you were hoping, but I don't see that as any detriment. It's a beautiful item.

Brian Warshaw and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted