Featured I've Been SO Excited to Show You This!

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by RachelW, Feb 8, 2024.

1. RachelW

RachelW Well-Known Member

I bought this last week and it finally arrived today!

IMG_20240208_152940.jpg
    IMG_20240208_153011.jpg

I'm thinking 3rd quarter 19th? Its so unique, I just had to have it even though I paid more than I usually would for one piece. But I saw quality, age, and beauty. Can't get better than that!

It's actually hollow, with the back plate and the bird itself put together. MUCH lighter then it looked, so I was taken aback a bit, but is this a sign of quality that its not a lump to hang off your dress? Not sure which direction this points to, quality or not quality? I'm leaning towards quality, but I may be biased lol!
    IMG_20240208_153028.jpg IMG_20240208_153151.jpg IMG_20240208_153240.jpg

There's more wear then you can see on the ad, here's one of the seller's photos.

upload_2024-2-8_18-1-48.png

Isnt she a beauty?​

Attached Files:

Figtree3, David Askett, judy and 18 others like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

To put it simply... Yes.

Debora

Marko, KSW, stracci and 3 others like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Absolutely!:happy:
    It is typical of the period. They didn't use much metal because it was much more expensive then later on.

judy, KSW, stracci and 5 others like this.
  4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Very Lovely Indeed! :)
    I might tend to want to date it a bit earlier.

judy, KSW, stracci and 1 other person like this.
  5. bluejay

bluejay Member

Wow, it's beautiful - so detailed! What's it made from, do you know?

judy, KSW, stracci and 2 others like this.
  6. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Stunning ! I'd be tempted to guess it might be Meiji because of their fiendishly exquisite realistic metal work,but as I say that's guessing.
    PS-As one of our forums most esteemed members said-'The best of the best will always keep it's value' through economic ups & downs.Smart Dealers have been telling me that most of my life-always go for quality.

judy, stracci, johnnycb09 and 2 others like this.
  7. bosko69

Can You give dimensions ?

RachelW likes this.
  8. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

My guess is stirling silver, by the way the back has been re-attached after a repair. Rachel, it's absolutely exquisite and old. I believe this to be supported by the fact that it has had a second clasp neatly soldered on. I noticed the 2nd clasp was attached lower than the original. I suspect the lower height of that clasp causes the bird to angle a little bit more UPWARDS when it's worn. Yes, solid silver would have weighted down ladies clothing! I too, would like to know the size, @RachelW

judy, stracci, bluejay and 2 others like this.
  9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Beautifully crafted.

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

11. RachelW

Oh good to know! What period is that then? I finished the Jewelry Detective book but haven't reached that section in the other one yet :hilarious:

I'm always happy with earlier.

12. RachelW

The seller said no marks so unknown metal and silver plated. I thought it might be unmarked sterling but when I got it home I saw the gold/brass color coming through on its head and wings, its more visible in this photo. I could try a little polish on the off chance its a wierd sort of tarnish though. IMG_20240208_153346.jpg

Figtree3, judy, antidiem and 4 others like this.
  13. RachelW

Oh the chinese thought is interesting! I was assuming European/French...

judy, antidiem and johnnycb09 like this.
  14. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Very pretty and a beautiful design! Be careful polishing the part where the metal is showing through. You might accidentally rub more of the silver plate off if it is silver plate. I think if you look carefully through a loupe you could tell.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2024
  15. bosko69

I'm just wildly guessing abt origin-one things for sure,the quality's crazy good.

16. RachelW

If you're talking about the mark I think you are, its a bit of tarnish, I don't know why it came out in the photos like that lol.

Do you think the back plate has been reattached, or were you referring to the clasp hinge?

judy and antidiem like this.
  17. RachelW

Sorry, I meant to and forgot! Its 7cm long and 3cm wide.

Good shout about the loupe, I'll check it!

judy and antidiem like this.
  18. RachelW

Here's birdy under 60x loup, I think that's wear not tarnish unfortunately. Bottom plate might be sterling though? It's tarnished differently.

imresizer-1707423571993.jpg imresizer-1707423616082.jpg

Figtree3, judy and komokwa like this.
  19. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

That is lovely!
    I've been trying to decide what type of bird it is... the beak is quite long.

judy and RachelW like this.
  20. RachelW

Us too! We've been through robin, sparrow, swallow, blackbird, etc etc. Just tried to remember that list and hit upon Starling, which I think has got to be it.
    154913_1585567680.jpg

Figtree3, judy, antidiem and 5 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted