Italy pottery vase/urn/pot

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by tyeldom3, May 16, 2017.

1. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

Stands just under 6" high. Looks really old, or just made to look that way? IDK. Any help is wonderful, thanks for your time.

Sending a shout out to Walter.... @Walter Del Pellegrino but of course I appreciate anyone's help, always!!:)
    d.jpg d1.jpg d2.jpg d3.jpg

Any Jewelry and Joshua Brown like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is Italian folk pottery, very pretty, nice shape and gorgeous blue.
    But I wouldn't think something marked 'made in Italy' would be very old. Maybe someone knows when 'made in Italy' was introduced on pottery.

3. tyeldom3

Thanks Any Jewelry, I was wondering the same thing. The pot looks so darned old, but that mark?:confused:
    Thanks again:kiss:

4. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Not sure if this applies to this pot, but sometimes wear --due to pot being outside for example, etc. can give the impression that something is older than it is. Not sure that is what is going on here, but might be.

I would think that the "Made in Italy" signature, as it is, does seem to indicate a vintage or newer piece. Would think anytime from 1960's on up.

I like it.

tyeldom3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd say newer rather than older.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  6. tyeldom3

Thanks so much Lucilleb and Evelyb! I appreciate the help.
    Any ideas about the paint or glaze? It seems sort of different, but I don't know how to describe why...:joyful::confused:
    Thanks again

7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have a tingling sense that it was painted post production and that is why it is so messy. Trying to look a lot older. JMHO
    greg

tyeldom3 likes this.
  8. Walter Del Pellegrino

Walter Del Pellegrino Well-Known Member

Italy became a unified country in 1870. Prior to that period each major city maintained its own government, minted its own coinage, raised its own army and produced its own passports. For example if you were traveling from Florence to Venice today it will take about three hours. In 1860 it might take four or five days because you would have to wait for the border crossing to be open and you might have to cross fifteen. or more borders. You would need to exchange, sometimes at outrageous rates, your Florentine Florins for Venetian Ducats. The “Grand Tour” was not so grand in the 19th century. The term “Made in Italy” first appeared in 1922 as a requirement of the Revised McKinley Tariff Act (1921). Originally the U.S. import law of 1890 only required that a country of origin appear on an imported product. In 1921 the regulation was changed to say that the country of origin had to appear as it was written in English rather than the native language. So, between 1890 and 1921 Italy was written as “Italia”, Spain was written as Espana and Japan was seen as “Nippon”. Your piece is not old. It was just crudely crafted with inferior clay and glazes. It most likely was produced in the 1960’s or 70’s.

Any Jewelry, judy, tyeldom3 and 2 others like this.
  9. tyeldom3

Thanks Greg, the concencus is in, it's not old, just trying to look that way!!:)
    What interesting information! Thanks so much for your gracious help Walter, what a great education.
    Thanks everyone for the help, I appreciate it.:)

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted