Featured Italian painted colorful striped bowls on spindle any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Kevolee, Dec 8, 2021.

1. Kevolee

Kevolee Well-Known Member

Hi, these small bowls are very colrful, but I have no idea of what they would be used for. Maybe nuts or condiments? They go on a brass spindle with a base and are marked on the bottoms, RM 1017 Italy. I'm not sure how easy it would be to find the maker, but at this point just knowing their purpose and what they would be refered to as would be a huge help. Very appreciative for any thoughts, leads or ideas.

IMG_2707.JPG
    IMG_2703.JPG IMG_2705.JPG IMG_2706.JPG IMG_2709.JPG IMG_2708.JPG

2. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I think these are ashtrays. Not sure so wait for other responses.

dude, komokwa and judy like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Agree on ashtrays. Probably had a lighter which fitted on top. If you're on Facebook ask on the Bitossi group, they'll know who made them.

judy, dude and komokwa like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Ashtrays as above.

Debora

dude and komokwa like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

so, whom here said ashtrays always have an indentation for the cigarette...eh...?

;):rolleyes:

( here.....meaning on a different thread...:oops:.)

dude likes this.
  6. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I always thought of these as porch or yard ashtrays. Like at a cookout. Smoking? Here, take one of these (hint, hint). Fewer crushed out buts all over the driveway. They're certainly for a single smoker to use since they fit in your hand and don't hold much.

komokwa likes this.
  7. komokwa

like the ashtrays one would put out in each table setting at a formal dinner....

u got yours...I got mine...;):)

[​IMG].

8. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Yours are jadeite glass and look elegant on that table. The above ashtrays would never work on your table, like I said barbeque/cook out.

And . . . people smoking at the dinner table, yuck! I know they did it back then, thank goodness not any more (usually) and don't those smokes look like Camels or Chesterfields?

9. komokwa

people used to smoke....while eating.....

they could also be Buckingham.....!

10. Kevolee

I wondered about the notches to rest the cigarettes, but ashtrays make as much sense as anything and I did find a traditional ashtray with the same colors and pattern that was attributed to Bitossi/Londi/Raymor, but it seems they were basing that more on assumption than sure fact. I did sign up for the Facebook group and I am waiting to be accepted. I will let everyone know if they have any info. Thanks everyone you help and suggestions.

11. Kevolee

They let me into the FB Italian MCM group and the moderator believes they were made by "CAF" (Ceramiche Artistiche Familiari) for Raymor. There is still some question about what they actully are. Olive holders was the top choice but someone is sure they are candle holders and I like that idea.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted