Italian glass candy dish --what to you call these dots?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lucille.b, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Oops meant what *do* you call these....

Is there a name for this "speckled" effect? Thanks.

it3.jpg it6.jpg it66.jpg

2. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

The swirled "end" section looks like Venetian glass sommerso beads, where bits of opaque glass are embedded in clear glass.

In the photos, the edge areas have a different look, though, so I'm not sure if that would be considered "sommerso."

Lucille.b likes this.
  3. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

Sommerso translates to "Submerged" (It is a technique) A good way to think about it would be a like a vase made of a certain colour, then cover the entire thing in another colour. Here is a good example for you.

sommerso.jpg

Pat P and Lucille.b like this.
  4. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

Honestly, I have no idea what that treatment is called, although I have heard it referred to as "Spatter" (I'd like to know what it is called if someone does know - @Ownedbybear perhaps?)

5. Lucille.b

Thanks everyone. I think "Spatter" might be it. Much appreciated!

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I calls it speckles. ;)

Not sommerso as desperate demonstrates. The bead technique is often called sommerso, I know, but in glass pieces it has a different meaning - more the true one.

7. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Ah, interesting that the same term is used differently in different segments of the Italian glass world.

8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I know. ;) Sommerso also gets used generically as a technique name, regardless of origin. Bit like scavo.

9. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

The technique is to pick up pieces of frit (broken bits of glass) with the soft gather. it's called Frit pick up.

10. Lucille.b

Thank you Bear and Cherryhill, plus all other responses.

Much appreciated!

Draft saved Draft deleted