Islamic bronze ? Seljuk?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Piglet, May 25, 2021.

1. Piglet

Piglet Member

7AD92A3C-C16B-4681-8DEC-053167D9FC21.jpeg 1DD2A957-75BC-4EB3-821D-A996D604D2B6.jpeg Hey. Can anyone tell me more information about this? Very interesting piece that no one has yet been able to talk on 49400149-83EA-43E6-8CF5-9EB33CBFF307.jpeg 01D66269-8B7F-4742-8CEF-663A1A128396.jpeg

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The photos are too cropped and too cluttered for me to discern much, is it a lamp base?
    That triangular decoration reminds me of Sumatran bronzes, but it is not something I recognize.

KikoBlueEyes and judy like this.
  3. Piglet

Piglet Member

4. Piglet

Piglet Member

Hey. I’ve uploaded some better pictures, I hope this helps.

KikoBlueEyes and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Thanks, it does help. But I have no idea where it is from, or if it started out life the way it is now. I can tell you it isn't Seljuk, and it does not have Islamic significance.

Ce BCA, KikoBlueEyes and Piglet like this.
  6. Piglet

Piglet Member

Thankyou for that, I wonder where I could go to find out some info on what it is. I wondered if it was something to do with an oil lamp originally

KikoBlueEyes and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Since the wood is in good condition, the bronze/brass is likely to have applied verdigris. (I first thought it may have had a very hard life.;))
    Original Seljuk or other old Asian pieces were kept in good order.
    The feet show little to no wear, so the metal part is not antique. This means the bronze/brass part isn't a repurposed antique. And the applied verdigris makes me think the entire base was designed this way, probably inspired by antique Asian bronzes.

If the wood is teak, it could have been made in Indonesia, and decorated with traditional triangular 'tumpal' motifs.

Ce BCA and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Tumpal triangles on a ewer from Aceh, Sumatra, Indonesia.

[​IMG]

Tumpal motifs on a Javanese sarong:

[​IMG]

BoudiccaJones and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  9. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

It's a rather jarring combination, it may be someone's concoction from items they had lying around. I doesn't look designed in any form imo.