Is this victorian era?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Antique_Bill, May 19, 2020.

1. Antique_Bill

Antique_Bill New Member

received_380863729498069.jpeg So i was thinking of picking this up for someone as they like victorian era furniture. However I dont want to buy something I think is victorian and isnt. I believe this is a Buffet. It is in an antique store a couple hours away from me. Is it possible anyone on here can identify this as Victorian Era?
    The seller did not specifically say it was victorian era. So I am hoping to find out for sure. I really doubt there is a date stamp on it so i have a hard time telling

It is not the greatest photo. I will not be able to get a better photo.

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I would say it's a little later.
    19teens or there after.

3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

20s or 30s to me.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

An attractive piece, nevertheless.

Debora

PortableTreasures likes this.
  5. lizjewel

lizjewel Well-Known Member

Construction appears to be MCM.

6. Antiquefan

Antiquefan Member

I am thinking 20's - 30's as well by the design and the legs.

Darkwing Manor likes this.
  7. lizjewel

The design and construction are quite generic. Early examples of this minimalist modern furniture definitely did make their debut in the 1920s, 1930s, by now legendary designers [name them yourselves]. The styling only started to be accepted in the U.S., England, Scandinavia, in the post WWII years, however. And, in cheaper versions for the masses, it became wildly popular especially in Scandinavia as of the mid-1950s. IKEA popularized this type design further. it could be collapsed in a box for shipping and the price didn't scare anyone off.

That being postulated it's impossible to tell from a photo such as this what quality is construction and workmanship to determine if a Ford or a Cadillac (or a LeCorbusier, or Saarinen); we just can't say. When @Antique_Bill has taken ownership perhaps you'll tell us more?

8. Ownedbybear

If you mean that sideboard, it isn't MCM and it certainly isn't minimalist. The carving, handles, fat multiple bun embellished feet and shape are sort of Gothic Revival, not quite as fussy as original Victorian ones were. Likewise the door carving. Looks oak. Mass market here in the 20s and 30s and for a short while post WW2, when people wanted comfort stuff.

I

9. lizjewel

@Ownedbybear I was referring to the corner shelf stand in light wood. Can @Antique_Bill clarify what furniture is to be discussed here?

Attached Files:

10. Ownedbybear

The corner shelf is a bit of Ikea tat. OP stated buffet.

11. lizjewel

Yes, 'Bear, shelf is definitely Ikea-styled. What is a "tat"?

Saw "buffet" now. Thought of it as a sideboard as they are more commonly known in the U.S. Definitely brown wood early 20th, usually part of a so called suite (or suit in the U.S.) of diningroom furniture.

12. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Buffet- Agreed on Edwardian or a tad later, perhaps English, oak. But if YOU like it, why not buy it!

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

TAT means "Rubbish, junk"

Ownedbybear and Ghopper1924 like this.
  14. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

"She's so swishy in her satin and tat"

-David Bowie

15. lizjewel

Oh, thank you! @komokwa and @Ghopper1924! As in "tatty". Never saw it used as a noun before :banhappy::joyful: . :hungover:

In Swedish tattare is a derogatory term for the gypsy people. In Britain, they're travelers. Tattare was first the vernicular word for tartarer, i e the Tartar people who came from the East and ran over the Russias and Finland, and was often lumped with gypsies who'd come north from Southern and Middle Europe. The implication in Sweden of tattig (tatty) was also something cheap, worn, degrading in appearance.

16. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Tat goes in a tif I believe :rolleyes:

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  17. Ownedbybear

Travellers and gypsies aren't the same thing. Gypsies are those of Romani heritage, travellers are Irish. Different culture, too.

18. lizjewel

They seem to be mixed up in the movies I've seen. Saw in a documentary about gypsies that the word gypsy comes from Egyptian. When gypsy caravans approached a usually walled and guarded European city they were asked about their land of origin. To be respected they often pretended to be wealthy merchant travelers from Egypt so they'd be admitted into the cities, thus named 'gypsies or 'gipsies.
    So there are Irish gypsies too? Interesting.

19. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Travellers have been stealing and defrauding people here in the U.S. since the 19th century. If you've had someone offering to do some home-repair work cheap, "since they're in the neighborhood", it was likely a traveller. We just had a group through here a few months ago, I asked for a written estimate and to see their licence - said they'd have to get it from the truck, and then took off rapidly. They often take elderly folks for huge sums - pond-scum...

~Cheryl

20. lizjewel

Thanks, Cheryl! Yeah, we have them here too in the U.S. We don't have a name like travellers for them. More like "fly-by-nighters", or scammers, for short. Comes in all types so we can't (and won't) pin them down to any particular origin. Bad guys are bad guys, beware.

Draft saved Draft deleted