Featured Is this turquoise nugget & Silver filigree necklace from China?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Curioser, Mar 22, 2024.

1. Curioser

Curioser Well-Known Member

I found this in a case at a shop that had other vintage Chinese pieces. There are no marks but the silver filigree pieces with applied balls test as sterling.

Image searches come up with all kinds of new Chinese stuff. This is not new. Searches for "turquoise nuggets" and "silver filigree" were not helpful, either.

Anyone care to hazard a guess on origin and age? I'm thinking 1900-1930? Clasp is a spring-ring but without the little thumb tab.

Thanks for your thoughts!
    Turquoise_Grad_Nuggets_Sterling_Filigree_links_necklace_1.JPG Turquoise_Grad_Nuggets_Sterling_Filigree_links_necklace_2.JPG

KSW, NewEngland, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  2. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

It's pretty! But it doesn't look old to me.
    The turquoise looks suspicious to me also.
    But the clasp is older, I agree.
    It's very hard to say exactly how old this is.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2024
  3. Curioser

What do you think? There are plenty of Chinese turquoise pieces old and new that look like these...

KSW and stracci like this.
  4. stracci

The jump rings look so bright compared to the filigree sections and the clasp.
    Could it be a modern necklace made with vintage filigree sections?
    Do you see any wear around the drill holes?

KSW likes this.
  5. Curioser

The jump ring is actually just as oxidized as the filigree parts. I see only a tiny bit of wear around the bead holes and the material underneath is the same color. I'm not sure that silver wire would degrade turquoise or any other hardstone noticeably. If the beads were rarely worn, the surface abrasion would be very minor.

KSW and stracci like this.
  6. stracci

It would look gorgeous worn with a white shirt!

KSW likes this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I think someone made a new necklace out of old parts. That a sport/thumb ring clasp. The filigree bits are probably post-war. Americans were using stabilized turquoise back in the 50s. Maybe someone found a cache of old parts and put them all together.

KSW and kyratango like this.
  8. Curioser

I guess it's possible...

KSW likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted