is this turquoise necklace real? info needed, thanks!

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by hokeypix, Oct 20, 2018.

1. hokeypix

hokeypix Member

Howdy! This necklace is 16" and each large bead is approx. 1". The clasp says 325. Can anyone confirm if this is real turquoise (it looks and feels like it, i.e. not resin or glass), and what it might be worth (retail)? Does it have a specific name? Someone offered to buy it but I honestly don't know what it's worth.

It's not strung (or re-strung) very well, that much I can tell.

Thanks in advance! turquoise small.jpg turquoise cu.jpg

Attached Files:

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  2. hokeypix

hokeypix Member

Also adding that it weighs 70 grams (350 carats) - i.e. each stone weighs close to 22 carats.

judy likes this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks like Turq..of some sort.
    r u sure 325.....is not 925 ( sterling)

Bronwen and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. hokeypix

hokeypix Member

5. hokeypix

hokeypix Member

And here are a bunch of close-ups of some of the drilled holes. For the most part they seem blue, and they follow the brown vein from the outside of the stone. One of them looks more like a rough rock, but that bead has quite a bit of roughness on it. That's the only one that looks like that on the inside. I hope these are helpful in terms of determining if this turquoise or dyed.

judy and komokwa like this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

If you were clever & making faux turquoise beads, maybe you would drill first & dye after?

kyratango and Debora like this.
  7. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The stones look like they maybe some type of Chinese pressed block mystery material.

kyratango, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  8. Bronwen

They look wrong to me too, in some indefinable way. Do some of them really have the lavender cast of the top bead of these two?

upload_2018-10-20_19-57-31.png

9. hokeypix

hokeypix Member

No, they're more green. These were just quick shots w/ phone and desk lamp. I'm thinking they might be Chinese turquoise? The matrix on these is very textured in parts (as one can see) and not just lines. I'm still confused about the 325 clasp! (Though these beads could have easily have been strung/clasp added later).

Bronwen likes this.
  10. Bronwen

It might be good if you could add a couple of pix taken in daylight. Knowing the true color is something needed for a better assessment. Then there's the one bead that's the right size & shape but very different formation:

upload_2018-10-20_20-10-5.png

It looks like someone made the necklace by restringing a strand of beads just as they came from the bead seller & tied on the clasp ends. It was predictable the ragged bead holes would fray that cord. Someone's homemade production.

kyratango likes this.
  11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Flip that 325 upside down and it's 925; I've seen it before. The stones... some kind of reconstituted turquoise, magnesite etc. Those brown veins generally mean magnesite.

12. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

It's hard to tell, but could the clasp say "825"?

i need help, judy and Bronwen like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, dyed something, probably magnesite, or even a mix of magnesite and howlite beads. The 325 is 925. I love the hook clasp.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    i need help, komokwa, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted