Is this steel adjustable chair military????

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by gregsglass, Mar 28, 2015.

1. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I just picked this chair off the curb. It looks like a stool with an adjustable back that is wood. It looks like it was originally olive drab and then the seat wore and got a coat of battleship gray. This is totally out of my realm of comfort. Even with the back raised all the way up it would not reach my shoulders. As it is it is only reaching a little above the small of my back. I am 6' tall. Hand written on the bottom of the seat it says Sunday Room. Any info would be helpful. thanks,
    greg 001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG

cxgirl and KingofThings like this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I would say first... Nice score! Nice they put it out for re-use by someone else. :)
    Second, I don't think it would be strictly military. Much simple steel furniture seems to have been made in this way and in green.
    That said... I had these around in the navy because they are tough and were probably cheap so...
    The gray looks to be sprayed. Maybe it was getting down to the metal and all they had handy to protect it.
    Good that there are 2 ways to adjust it.
    In any event you can tell it's a tough survivor and good for the garage/basement work table which is where this one likely migrated from to you. :)

lauragarnet and gregsglass like this.
  3. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

Gee all I ever find at the curb are empty 1/2 pints and beer bottles/cans!
    :D

4. KingofThings

Ha!!!!
    Well my '69 Chevy step side is on the road again as of yesterday so I'll be watching for.....stuff. :)

gregsglass likes this.
  5. gregsglass

Hi Milt,
    They did not put it out for reuse. They put it out for the trash pick up with two ironing boards and boxes of beer bottles and cans ala Messi. Oh before I forget nine resin chairs.
    greg

KingofThings likes this.
  6. KingofThings

Ah well. Turns out it will be just that anyway! :)
    Are they wood ironing boards? May be a use for the old wood....

7. gregsglass

Hi Messi,
    Since last year I picked up 3 cement birdbaths in excellent shape one of which has a circulating pump. A pair of fiberglass 8' coluums and five pieces of milk glass, one a tall lamp and two vases and candy dishes.
    greg

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
    KingofThings likes this.
  8. gregsglass

Hi Milt,
    Not wooden, I would have grabbed those instead of the chair.:D
    greg

KingofThings likes this.
  9. gregsglass

Hi
    Perhaps I should clean it up and paint some color combo. I bet Brad would have some ideas.:D
    greg

KingofThings and Bakersgma like this.
  10. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Nice, looks to me like a factory or laboratory stool - personally, wouldn't mess with it, I've done pretty well with industrial items lately.

http://www.urbanremainschicago.com/products/furniture/vintage-stools.html?p=1

I've found some great items in my neighbors trash, and one has a habit of putting odd items in her recycling bins, like almost complete sets of china and random bits of pottery, mostly nice quality garage sale stuff, but when I took Bridget out for her walk the other night, checked the bin and underneath a perfectly good glass cake pedestal & cover, and nestled in a spotless Cuisinart 5.5 qt. saute pan, was a beautifully seasoned circa 1930s Wagner Ware #10 skillet. I quickly tucked them next to a bush, hurried Bridgie on her way and then drove back down to pick them up - believe I'll be keeping the skillet...

~Cheryl

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
    Lucille.b, KingofThings and cxgirl like this.
  11. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

KingofThings and lauragarnet like this.
  12. gregsglass

Hi Brad & Cheryl,
    Thank you for posting. I will give it a good cleaning and see what happens. I have terrible luck with metal chairs, here is one that I had at three yard sales for 5 bucks and no takers. 005.JPG
    greg

13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That one's a cutie. They were all over the place in factories and workshops, but if you put them in a big East Coast flea they tend to move.

14. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Awww - I'd have picked up your little metal chair for 5 bucks in a heartbeat, though it's not quite as cool as the new one. Just noticed the cake stand I just found looks to be the same one as in your kitchen - I have one already, nice that you can flip it around for a punch bowl...

~Cheryl

KingofThings likes this.
  15. gregsglass

Hi Cheryl,
    It is extremely heavy usually Indiana Glass is. I do not use it as a punch bowl since I have three. I use it for tifles and cherries in the snow. As to the little white chair, I thought for sure with that heart shaped back it would sell.
    greg

KingofThings likes this.
  16. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I'd have bought that for $5.00 as well. Paint it a bright color and it will sell - Turquoise, and yellow are the best. Red works too.

KingofThings likes this.
  17. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Next yard sale, put the white chair back out at $12.50.
    When you're offered $10. smile and say thank you when you accept it.

People think there is something wrong with an item if it is marked too low.

KingofThings likes this.
  18. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Greg, we had that metal chair in our kitchen in the 50s. The legs & back were white and the seat was red. I think those were the original colors and they were everywhere. Our kitchen floor tiles (probably asbestos) were red & white alternating.

KingofThings likes this.
  19. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Red and white sounds right for the heart chair. Yellow and white would work too; A a buttercup yellow back would fit right into a retro red and white kitchen. I'd either leave the OP's alone or paint the metal part battleship/machine shop gray. Leave the wood as found.

KingofThings likes this.
  20. gregsglass

Hi,
    Thanks for all the great replies.
    greg

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted