Featured Is this Portrait in Rembrant Style or Era (ish)?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by RachelW, Oct 7, 2024 at 9:53 AM.

1. RachelW

RachelW Well-Known Member

I've just realized not all of these are jewelry...though they are miniatures they're not all for wearing. If these need to be moved please do so and sorry in advance!

This distinguished gentleman caught my eye. His style and look remind me very much of Rembrant's work and the 17th century in general. He's painted on some sort of pressed(?) wood, and there's glue all over the back to hang him up.

What concerns me is the lack of apparent brush strokes. The others that came with him are all hand painted (I think/pray) and they have minimal strokes, but his lack of them seems a little obvious to be ignored. He's hand painted isn't he?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Is he 17th? or a 19th/20th homage? Either way he's beautiful.​

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I can see why. He looks a bit like Christopher Lee.
    He is missing his frame, btw. The glue was someone's 'solution'.
    Not Rembrandt's technique, but he does resemble Rembrandt's Rabbis. He also reminds me of Nostradamus.
    Difficult to say. I'm not too sure about those white scratches, but let's wait for better eyes.:wideyed:

RachelW likes this.
  3. RachelW

He does look like Christopher a bit!

The white scratches I think are something on it, like a bit of napkin or something. Its fiberous, but I didn't want to try to take it off in case I damaged it.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. Dessert58

Dessert58 Well-Known Member

If its hand painted you should be able to see/feel the brush strokes
    If its just a print you can see the dots/grid.
    What is the material of the back? That looks suspicious to me
    I m not convinced by this one...

RachelW likes this.
  5. RachelW

The odd thing is I can see neither. No dots or grid like a transfer, but its very smooth minus the crackling. Is there a varnish that is masking the paint? It does look hand painted, but its wierd.

Here's photos of the painting under a loup, and of the back. The back is painted or varnished wood I think..?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted