Is this plein air art?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Armando0831, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Armando0831

Armando0831 Well-Known Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I've had this painting for a while and I find it nicely done. It's signed, what appears to be Vance. At the top it has the dimensions and price. I've read that plein air artist usually take canvas out into the field with thin stretchers like this, easy to transport. I did contact Karen Vance, a plein air artist, and confirmed that it's not hers. Any ideas?

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  2. Alec Sutton

Alec Sutton Active Member

En plein air simply refers to the practice of painting landscapes on site rather than in the studio. Stretcher size is not a reliable indicator.

To my eye this appears to be a c.1960s picture, such as widely produced assembly line style for the tourist and decorator trade.

afantiques likes this.
  3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I cannot tell how "thin" the stretcher bars are, they look average sized to me and as was mentioned, this is no indication of an outdoors painting.

It is done in the style of Alexander/Ross (remember Bob Ross?) and just looks to be a fantasy painting.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I was thinking it looked like what the guy on tv used to do. Couldn't remember his name until I read antidiem's reply.

5. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

I love the old barn..I remember the artist,he was German and always painted " Happy Clouds" and mountains.I uset to act silly and get out a canvas and paints and mimick him. :p:D

PS
    Bob Ross did the "happy trees" :)

6. spirit-of-shiloh

William Alexander HAR HAR

TV host and prolific painter Bob Ross studied under Bill and there learned his wet-on-wet technique, a method of allowing oil applications to run together rather than waiting long periods for each layer to dry.[1] Ross dedicated the first episode of the second season of The Joy of Painting to Alexander, explaining that "years ago, Bill taught me this fantastic technique, and I feel as though he gave me a precious gift, and I'd like to share that gift with you [the viewer]".[2]

Born in East Prussia, Alexander's family escaped during World War I to Berlin.

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  7. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Alec beat me to the answer. Back when I was on the Ebay boards, the question of "Plein Aire" paintings came up over and over again. Landscape paintings can be plein aire, but all landscapes are not necessarily plein aire.

8. Armando0831

I had read somewhere that en plein air artist, not all, used a thinner stretcher when they went out to do their paints because it wasn't bulky and easier to move. I'm not doubting you but more so of a question type statement

I do remember Bob Rods though. I use to watch his shows all the time.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  9. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

We have a group of en plein aire artists here in Orleans and they use regular canvases. The canvases are probably small to medium size, but the stretchers are normal.

10. Armando0831

I bet that's were I got the mix up. It's not the smaller stretcher but canvas. I'm getting old. I can't remember what I read.

11. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

I always figure a painting isn't a "real" place when I see things like that zigzag drive/road.
    Who in their right mind would deliberately make one that way when there is perfectly level ground all around.
    :)

12. Armando0831

So, a painting that has a Ross like method is more than likely a painting to just be admired and really not expect growth in value?

antidiem likes this.
  13. spirit-of-shiloh

I think the zig zag road looks charming but then I have weird taste. :p

14. Messilane

Charming, scharming. Try getting a loaded wagon up it. :D

15. spirit-of-shiloh

Well.looking out my window, I see dozens of rain puddles where the horses are. If I manuver the hay cart here and there to avoid the pools......I too will have a zigzag path in no time. :p:D

16. Messilane

17. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

A lot of en plein painting is done on things like canvas board and, when they were more plentiful, cigar box lids. Anything light and easy to carry that doesn't take up a lot of room.

Draft saved Draft deleted