Is this odd composition of children selling or trying on shoes from a book?

Discussion in 'Art' started by capitulation, Dec 27, 2020.

1. capitulation

capitulation Active Member

I purchased this old print with a nice wood frame and am trying to determine the subject matter and/or age/or wood type. Im guessing its at least 1930s (maybe prior?).

It appears to be of some kind of sale or dress up with children involving shoes and undergarments, which is a bit odd! I noticed there were also some kind of Asian looking lanterns on the line behind the girl in the pink frock.

Any guesses as to the origin of this composition (a book or story?), age based on the print, nails or frame, or what kind of wood the frame is would be lovely. I thought the lad in the top hat looks rather Harry Potterish...

Thank you

P1230948.jpeg P1230955.jpg

P1230956.jpeg
    P1230962.jpeg

P1230959.jpeg

P1230960.jpeg

P1230965.jpg

judy and Aquitaine like this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Looks like a chromolithograph of children playing dress-up.

Bronwen, judy, Any Jewelry and 5 others like this.
  3. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Defintely not that. This is a glorification of 19thc exploitative child labour, making children work selling clothes and shoes that don't fit.

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Good One, MOS!! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Aquitaine, Bronwen, judy and 2 others like this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Looks like the original for what MOS found!!! NICE find BTW!!! Looks like a plain Oak frame to me....

Bronwen, antidiem, KSW and 2 others like this.
  7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I didn't think I needed to add a smiley but here you go :bucktooth::)

Aquitaine, Bronwen, KSW and 3 others like this.
  8. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

moreotherstuff, I did not know about the game, but was about to say the are playing Department Store! Very cool.

James.

Bronwen, antidiem, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Not finding yours exactly, but here's a slightly different cover for the same game:
    [​IMG]

Aquitaine, Bronwen, KSW and 5 others like this.
  10. capitulation

capitulation Active Member

I never cease to be amazed by how quickly and accurately my questions are answered, many thanks to everyone! I am wondering how on earth you figured this out? I am so delighted to read the urls provided. If it is indeed from the fin de siecle and/or McLoughlin Bros Im pretty excited about that. I thought the frame was oak also (thanks for that).

This was a very peculiar find in a junk shop. I saw a wizened little old man with it in his hands. He was peering at it intently. I stepped up and asked if I could see it and he muttered 'its the old style, its the old style of printing'. When I complimented him on the pretty find he literally shoved it in my hands and raced off saying 'you take it, you take it, I have too many already'. I have often wondered if his wife berated him when he came home with more "junk". I was delighted to rescue this for a whopping $3.

Aquitaine, Bronwen, KSW and 6 others like this.
  11. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

The artist may be Reynold Jay.

Aquitaine, Bronwen, antidiem and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted