Is this large earthen storage jar Chinese?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by anundverkaufen, Jun 16, 2014.

1. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

I haven't found any real close match, just similar forms, none with the colors and the white glaze ground or with the loop handles/lugs with faces on them. I think it might be Chinese or southeast Asian. Not sure if the decoration is a dragon or a phoenix or what? It measures 14" tall and 13" at the widest diameter.

Attached Files:

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Wonder if it is from India with the elephant heads.
    Just a thought, I could be wrong.

3. anundverkaufen

Thanks cluttered,
    I thought those elephant heads were bearded faces, regardless, I hadn't thought to look towards India, something I'll do now.

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I have looked at this from a few different ways and have come up blank. While this certainly could be Asian, I get a bit of a Mediterranean vibe from it. The dragon (or whatever it is) is so stylized that it is almost as if whoever did it didn't really know what a dragon should look like or was consciously trying to downplay their dragon appearance. I am wondering if this might be Italian or from some other southern European country.

I don't see those handles as elephants. I initially saw them as dolphins until I saw those faces on them. Very different.

5. anundverkaufen

Thanks Brad, I thought Italian or thereabouts and looked real hard to find similars from that area without any luck. Last night I really hit it hard and still no definite origin but I'm starting to think Annamese or somewhere in that region. There was allot of Annamese pottery with the same white ground and similar decorative elements.

6. 6rivets

6rivets Active Member

Not Indian, I can tell you that much.

7. anundverkaufen

8. khl889

khl889 Well-Known Member

Have to say that I don't possibly see how this could have been produced by a Chinese potter. Perhaps someone elsewhere using a Chinese piece as model.

9. anundverkaufen

Draft saved Draft deleted