Is this jardiniere Wannopee?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ascot, Jun 12, 2014.

1. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

I've this pot for years and even had it listed. I was cleaning it yesterday and it occurred to me that this may be Wannopee. I've had several Wannopee teapots and pitchers in cobalt with gold accents, and if memory serves, the glaze on the bottom and the gold overspray are very similar. I'd appreciate any input/thoughts on this piece before I re-list. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Hopefully someone who knows about Wannopee/New Milford comes along. I started a file on them several years ago but it's on one of two computers, one upstairs, one downstairs, and I'm on crutches at the moment and put off stairs as much as I can. If no one comes along I'll have a look next time I go up or down and see if it offers any insight.

I only have a small lettuce pitcher made by them and of course it's nothing like this particular piece.

3. say_it_slowly

I just went and pulled what little info I have it wasn't any help, sorry.

4. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Thanks for looking! There's so little information about identifying Wannopee/New Milford cobalt wares. Years ago I sold a cobalt pitcher to a man from New Milford who told me he was compiling pieces for a book on the pottery (don't know if he ever finished the project). He also sent me some photos of pieces in his collection, but they were table wares. I may try contacting the New Milford historical society--don't know if they help ID pieces, but it's worth a try.

5. say_it_slowly

I know there was some information online at one time and I thought I'd saved the file or printed it out. As I recall it did have photos of some of the cobalt and gold pieces. The only photos I've found that I saved were some blended glaze type pieces "said" to be New Milford. I assume I was looking for the lettuce leaf pieces at the time I set out to find something but suprisingly I haven't found that I saved anything on them. I suspect I stashed more info somewhere "safe" that I can't find right now.

Draft saved Draft deleted