Featured Is this hallmark a Russian city mark?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by laura9797, Sep 7, 2024.

1. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Nice icon - appears to be copper on wood with silver oklad. There is a tag on the back from a Paris sale or auction. There are two marks on the front surface. I typically see stamped hallmarks on the sides with icons but regardless, very difficult to make out. There is a lot of copper coming through the silver so I am assuming if anything this would be .800 or even plate? Approx. height 13.12 in., width 10.38 in., depth 1 in. IMG_9074.JPG IMG_9073.JPG IMG_9069.JPG IMG_9070.JPG IMG_9072.JPG IMG_9075.JPG

2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

That looks like an Arabic Tughra mark to me.

Rare-tughra-Sultan-Abdul-Hamid-ll-a-Mark-Sah-b-Caret-of-the-silver-alloy-stamped.jpg

3. laura9797

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

An Ottoman tughra mark, used until 1923.
    Tughras are mostly associated with Turkey, but can also be found in culturally related parts of the Crimea and Kazan, and in parts of Central Asia and the former Mughal empire. Some Persian dynasties used tughras for a while, but Arabs didn't use tughras.
    As far as I know, tughra silver marks are Ottoman, and this one is a good example.

There used to be many Christians in Turkey, and there are still quite a few left. Some are Greek Orthodox, some are other Eastern churches.

So this icon is more rare than a Russian icon, and a different style too, although recognizably traditional.
    It is also more likely to be genuine than so many Russian icons.;)

I have a file with sultan's tughras somewhere. There are minute differences between them, so the devil is in the detail. If you clean this one up I can check whose it is, so you know the period.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2024
  5. laura9797

Many thanks! I will see if my daughter can get the polishing cloth to it when she is there this weekend. We have taken my mother - turning 88 - down to the beach house for a couple of days. Stay tuned!

6. Any Jewelry

Oh, lovely! Have fun.:)

bercrystal, johnnycb09 and kyratango like this.
  7. laura9797

My daughter just tried to polish the marks - they are tiny and she really needs to find a qtip but here is what she sent! IMG_1869.jpg IMG_1870.jpg IMG_1871.jpg

8. Any Jewelry

I'll give it a try, but may not come up with anything. The differences between Ottoman sultan's tughras are minute.

Figtree3, bercrystal and johnnycb09 like this.
  9. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

That 9 with a dot is 90 in Arabic, probably the fineness

It looks very much like the ancient Turkish mark which was used by the Egyptians before they adopted their own.
    There are Coptic Christians in Egypt.

Screenshot 2024-09-07 164059.png

10. Any Jewelry

You nailed it! Yes, the 9. is the fineness, .900 silver.

https://www.silvercollection.it/EGYPTSILVERHALLMARKS.html

11. laura9797

Thank you so much! I think she paid under $100 for it a few years ago. I am really glad I took the time to examine it for a mark.

12. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

The silver work on this one is really neat! Her robe is fantastic.

bercrystal likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted