Featured is this garnet? old?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Phaik Hooi, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Phaik Hooi

Phaik Hooi Well-Known Member

dear all

am i right to think that this is garnet? it is very dark red, almost black, but the red is obvious when angled in daylight. the ring itself has no mark but it has a thin layer of gold. is the design of the ring old or new?
    the last is a photo with the lens on the stone against the light.

regards
    phaik hooi

PS: i was recently told by some jeweller friends that 14K and 18K is not considered gold and has no real value, e.g. most of mum's stuff are junk :(:p:facepalm::D:hilarious:

dark red garnet2.png dark red garnet3.png dark red garnet4.png dark red garnet7.png dark red garnet8.png dark red garnet11.png dark red garnet from front.png

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I do not understand 14K and 18K is standard for gold. I can see that 9K and 10K as being lower standards.
    greg

3. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

Time to get new friends! those "jewelers" are full of it. I'll take all the 9, 10, 14, 18k they can send!

Bakersgma, plaid423, Sandra and 2 others like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Gorgeous ring, Phaik. Since there are so many stones of this colour, we'd have to know the hardness and other details. It is probably best to take the ring to a jeweler to assess the stone.

Gold fineness standards are different in different countries. Phaik is in Malaysia, which may have the same standard as India, 22k. So the jeweler friends aren't full of it, they just follow local regulations.
    The Arab world has a standard of 21k, most continental European countries have a standard of 14k - 19.2k, but the fineness is often higher. Germany accepts a minimum of 8k, the US 10, in both countries the fineness can be higher. The standard in the UK is 9k.
    So Phaik, take your pick, where would you like to sell?:D

You could consider selling on etsy, you can attract international buyers more easily there than on the Malaysian ebay, for instance. There are many people around the world who don't mind your 14k and 18k at all.:happy:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    judy, Phaik Hooi, Sandra and 3 others like this.
  5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Call me a cynic,but I cant believe his friends told him that ! Theres got to be some sort of self serving motivation behind such a statement!

6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

And then they offered you pennies for it - Time to get new friends.

The setting looks 1960s and later.

judy, yourturntoloveit and plaid423 like this.
  7. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Yikes - with friends like those................

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Yes, I agree, 60s-70s. Completely forgot about that, got a bit lost in the gold standards.
    [​IMG]

judy likes this.
  9. Phaik Hooi

tq all for your support and dating of ring style :joyful::joyful:

actually it is exactly as in Any Jewelry's comment ... they just do not consider it worth their while because the local standard for gold is so high. you should have seen their faces as they told me .... :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
    but they told me the diamonds were probably worth more than a few bob :happy::happy:

btw is there a handheld device like the diamond tester which can measure RI? since my stones are set in earrings and rings, i am not sure how they can be used on the RI machines i found on google ....

Any Jewelry likes this.
  10. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

If AJ had not already written this, I was going to ask what country the jewellers are in. When I finally figured out that the marks on a bracelet were probably Egyptian for 12K, I took it, along with a loupe, to my nearby friendly Yemeni convenience store proprietor to confirm the 12. The moment he got it in his hands, he asked, What is this? Is this gold? Seems to be a grade Egypt reserves for tourists.

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  11. colleenL

colleenL New Member

Your jewelry friends are laughably wrong about 14k and 18k having no value! Though I'm sure you know that. That stone definitely looks like garnet. Lovely ring.

judy likes this.
  12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If they're throwing out 10k, 9k, 14k etc, throw it at me! (LOL) We Americans apparently have low standards. The only time I've seen a 12k piece that wasn't gold-filled, it was Black Hills gold; all of that's 12k or was.

judy likes this.
  13. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

A lot of Egyptian gold tourist souvenir souvenir jewelry is rose gold, so maybe some connection with alloying to get rose or green gold & fineness of the gold. I suspect no self-respecting Egyptian would wear any of it. The good stuff is 18 or 21K.

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Since they are in Malaysia, they are right. It is below the Malaysian legal standard, which means it is not legally gold. They would break the law if they tried to sell it as gold.
    Different countries have different standards and laws. You can't expect Malaysians to abide by another country's law and thereby break their own.
    I am in the Netherlands and can't sell German 8k, UK 9k, or US 10k gold as 'real' gold, because it is below our legal standard. This legal standard is why I prefer to buy gold finesses from 14k upward, which seems to offend some people.

I like your avatar picture, by the way.;)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  15. Phaik Hooi

tq!! for explaining it so well :happy::happy:

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted