Featured Is this even an antique?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Virtual_Davey, Nov 15, 2021.

1. Virtual_Davey

Virtual_Davey New Member

DSC01685.JPG DSC01686.JPG DSC01687.JPG DSC01688.JPG DSC01652.JPG I have this large throne that is taking up way too much room. Very heavy, I would say around 75 - 100 pounds. Around 6 feet tall.
    I know very little about antiques, but have dabbled in them. No sign of any maker marks anywhere on this item that I could find.
    Listed it on Craigslist to sell, but don't want to get ripped off if it's something special.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2021
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Wow,thats impressive ! Id guess maybe 1900 or so,but the finish puzzles me. Either its newer than I thought,or its been refinished.Brown furniture is in the sewer right now,but slowly seems to be coming back up . That is very taste specific,so you might wait awhile before the right buyer sees it. Id ask 500 and take anything over 200 just because you about cant give this stuff away.Just my humble opinion and I could be way off.

3. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Thinking that this is recent ca. 1970-2000, probably from SE Asia or the Philippines. Would guess it's from a mahogany plantation or some other kind of hardwood. Obviously it's imitating a Victorian piece like Horner, ca. 1890; nicer than usual craftsmanship.

4. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Hello @Virtual_Davey & welcome to the forum!! :happy::happy:

If anybody would know if this piece was the real deal it would be our very own @Ghopper1924. :D:D

Below are several threads he did this past summer where he gave us extensive tours of his house.

https://www.antiquers.com/threads/room-tour-anyone.62557/

https://www.antiquers.com/threads/dining-room-tour.62730/

https://www.antiquers.com/threads/brother-can-you-spare-a-bedroom-tour.62873/

https://www.antiquers.com/threads/living-room-tour-part-uno.63108/

https://www.antiquers.com/threads/living-room-tour-part-dos.63129/

Maybe if you show the construction of the piece (back & underneath) he might be able to give you a more definitive answer. :happy::happy:

Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's impressive as all get-out. I can see this in a home in China or south Asia, of someone with real money. The shape says Victorian, but the fabric is new and the finish is all wrong for 19th century. It's begging for a wedding to go to. I keep seeing a Bride and Groom sitting in it.

Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  6. Virtual_Davey

Virtual_Davey New Member

DSC01689.JPG DSC01690.JPG Thank you. Here's a couple more pictures. Those pads on the feet are stick on felt pads so it doesn't scratch my 215 year old hardwood floors.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2021
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, Southeast Asian, probably Indonesian.
    Replicas of British Palace furniture were especially made in Indonesia for the BBC series "Victoria".

8. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

I''ll stick with my original opinion. Beautiful floors!

bercrystal and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

Tell-talle of last resort, if all else fails, is usually the underside finish. You'll find no finish at all on parts that weren't meant to be seen or handled on original pieces. That doesn't mean that it's not a looker.

bercrystal likes this.
  10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Latest pics confirm this to be newer production.

bercrystal and DragonflyWink like this.
  11. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

In 1994, the owner of the antique mall I was managing dedicated about a quarter of the building to 'Victorian Reproductions' imported from Indonesia (not even near as profitable as he'd hoped and a waste of space to my thinking) - can't really say if we had this exact piece, but had dozens of the same ilk, with very similar design, construction and upholstery...

~Cheryl

12. Virtual_Davey

Virtual_Davey New Member

Out of curiosity, where was this antique mall located? I have a few nearby here in my location of Salem, Massachusetts.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  13. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

The owner of the mall where I had a booth in the early 2000s bought this stuff also but I think his product was of a lower grade. On nice days he would have workers haul pieces out into the parking lot since the mall was located on a very busy thoroughfare here in Columbia. The problems arose during the summer months when temperatures routinely get up into the high 90s. The pieces were constructed so quickly I guess the wood was not allowed to dry out or whatever. It was not unusual for you to be walking past pieces to hear popping & cracking noises. :eek::jawdrop::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Draft saved Draft deleted