Featured Is this Doggie Painting considered FOLK ART?

Discussion in 'Art' started by vitry-le-francois, Jul 13, 2021.

1. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

I am assuming it is AUGUST COISTER. I purchased this on eBay.FR about 15 years ago for $20 plus $80 for shipping!! Is this considered folk art. Or???

Thanks!

dog1.jpg dog2.jpg dog3.jpg dog4.jpg dog5.jpg

kyratango, judy and komokwa like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i don't see that as folk art..!
    more like Animal art...

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The overall impression is naive. The technique lacks the sophistication of a classically trained animalier. Could be a copy. Whoever painted it put their best foot forward.

I wonder about what seems to be an overall brown wash. Is that just discolored varnish? It's looks to be very unevenly applied.

4. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Folk art is a broad and slippery description. The difference between fine and folk seems to lie in whether the artist has been formally trained or not. I'd say yes, you could comfortably describe this one as folk, simply because of its naivete. I did find his name listed, but no bio so I don't know his training history. Another painting by him shows the similar folk-ish technique. coutier.jpg

kyratango likes this.
  5. ValerieK

ValerieK Well-Known Member

To me it looks like the dog has been copied from another picture and just inserted onto the landscape, it doesn't seem to be really standing on the ground, and the quality of the landscape is nowhere near as good as that of the dog. What would he be looking at so intently in that open field? Strangely dream-like and disturbing, but it is the oddness of some paintings which keep you looking at them.

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Odd, isn't it? A more accomplished dog superimposed upon a less than accomplished background with no respect for proportion. In that, of course, lies your painting's charm.

Debora

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The genre scene is entitled 'Oude Vrouw Breland,' Dutch for 'Old Woman Breland.'

Debora

8. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I think the dog has great character. Shadows would have attached the dog to the ground but I think the artist want to mostly depict the dog. I would have bought that one If I didn't have to pay all that shipping!

kyratango likes this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You're right. Consider my remark above amended to... "with no respect for proportion or gravity!"

Debora

10. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

Interesting replies! THANKS for all the great info!!

Draft saved Draft deleted