Is this contemporary or impressionist?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Nick Grady, Jul 3, 2021.

1. Nick Grady

Nick Grady Member

F5328A7C-CED8-4475-9F34-654674837D0A.jpeg Or am I way off? Lol, thanks everyone.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
    judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Contemporary and impressionist aren't synonyms, Nick. Your painting can be both. (Contemporary art generally refers to art made after World War II or by living artists. Impressionist means the artist sought to express his/her perception of nature rather than depict an exact representation.) I would certainly think your work is 20th century and the artist was influenced by Impressionism. So maybe yes and certainly yes. As always a photograph of the back, might provide information.

Debora

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
    pearlsnblume, Nick Grady and Houseful like this.
  3. Nick Grady

Nick Grady Member

Thank you very much for explaining that. I still have a lot to learn. As for the back of the painting, unfortunately there are no marks at all. Just the board it was painted on

Attached Files:

pearlsnblume likes this.
  4. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

The artist appears to have been from Reesville, OH and exhibited frequently in Ohio. The person selling the painting on eBay by this artist just used the one art term they knew to describe it. Take a look at some of the 19th century impressionist paintings for reference.

Nick Grady likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The back of a work provides lots of information whether there are marks or not. It can be used to identify factory paintings. It can also be used to point toward age. For instance, someone at some time gilded the front of the frame but left the back in its original pickle. That, along with the frame's design, points toward post-World War II. 1950s/1960s. It is likely the original frame and -- INHO -- they should have left it the way it was.

Debora

4F3D1A50-47F4-4255-83A6-0F4750F46D42.jpg

Nick Grady likes this.
  6. Nick Grady

Nick Grady Member

Absolutely! Would’ve looked so much better!

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

An autumnal water scene by Monet, the founder of the Impressionist movement in the 19th century for comparison.

Debora

autumn-on-the-seine-at-argenteuil.jpgHalfHD-945x680.jpg

Bakersgma and Nick Grady like this.
  8. reader

reader Well-Known Member

My two cents. I respectfully disagree that the term contemporary should be used in any way in reference to your landscape. Although contemporary certainly defines
    as "of the current time”, in art it refers to cutting edge art of the specific time extending from mid century forward although today the term is rarely applied to any specific work earlier than the 80s. You painting was never a contemporary work although it’s a lovely landscape.

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

With all due respect... "Contemporary art" is a universally accepted term in the field as "the art of today, produced in the second half of the 20th century or in the 21st century." It can be cutting edge or not. I might suggest that a more widely accepted term for "cutting edge" in art would be avant-garde which can be applied to both modern (1860s to post World War II give or take) and contemporary (give or take post World War II onward) art.

Debora

10. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Couldn’t disagree more with your definitions but that’s what makes discussions interesting.

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

They're not my definitions. Text book stuff.

Debora

12. Nick Grady

Nick Grady Member

Mic drops, Debora walks off stage…

13. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Not in my world and avante garde is definitely a dated term.

Draft saved Draft deleted