Is this called a courthouse chair?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by dls95405, Jun 2, 2024.

1. dls95405

dls95405 New Member

Bought at a garage sale in California, USA. The legs are scuffed and the finish is in poor condition. It's surprisingly comfortable for a wooden chair. If I were to sell it what might be its value? I have no experience refinishing furniture, but I'm willing to try if it might significantly increase its value. Any info or opinion would be appreciated. This is my first post so if I didn't do it right please advise. thank you. IMG_4832-min.jpeg IMG_4833-min.jpeg IMG_4834-min.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 2, 2024
    Marote and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's value might be $35 .....which is sad because they are so well made and so comfortable....
    I have one two feet from me..... and another on wheels....across my desk...

I don't put them out in my yard sales....cuz around here I may not get $25 for them.

and if u bought it for cheap at a garage sale in your area , you'll be selling it in the same area....cuz no one will drive 100 miles to pick it up , and you're not going to ship it.

3. komokwa

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

This is a particularly nice one but, sadly, no longer sought after much. Agree with a $35.00 price in very good condition here in the Midwest. You might do better in CA.

5. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Ditto-Built like a battleship w/ lovely lines,but I'm guessing they made thousands of them (maybe more ?).

6. komokwa

10's of thousands......maybe more........
    at one time they were in every bank , courthouse ..and office ..
    I took mine home from my office when these showed up..

[​IMG]

dls95405 likes this.
  7. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Since you ask... in my neck of the Midwest USA woods, we'd call it a "banker's chair"... though it's a side chair version and not the typical wheeled swivel style used at a desk. Excellent, solid, useful chairs but not worth much on the resale market, as others have already said.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2024
    Marote, wlwhittier, dls95405 and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted