Featured Is this brooch pink butterfly wing?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Simona Buhus, Sep 28, 2023.

1. Simona Buhus

Simona Buhus Well-Known Member

Good evening,
    Looked at this brooch for some time, can’t identify the pink stone/ glass or whatever it is.
    Any suggestions?
    Thank you.
    Kind regards,
    Simona
    @Any Jewelry @Ownedbybear @Bronwen
    DAF1C168-1C60-4B47-A2CC-0B8B26002A0D.jpeg CE3C70B8-D9F9-4820-B578-9287A8D89499.jpeg

Figtree3, IvaPan, Dessert58 and 4 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Lovely brooch, Simona.:)
    It would be an unusual colour for a butterfly wing, and I don't see the structure lines a wing has. So I wonder if it could be glass.
    I also think it could be ten years or so older than butterfly jewellery.

What does it look like from the side? Does it look like clear glass over a coloured ground, or is it the same colour all the way through?

IvaPan, Dessert58, KSW and 2 others like this.
  3. Simona Buhus

It’s structure is like butterfly wing, it has some cracks, like cracked deserted land is the best I can describe it. It has some dark pink patches surrounded by brown strips. When I move it from side to side the colour changes to transparent, the side view is transparent with some patches where the darker pink is.
    Will take some photos in daylight tomorrow.
    How old would this brooch be? And is there a style that can be assigned to it?
    Forgotten to mention that is made of sterling silver.
    Thank you.
    Kind regards,
    Simona

IvaPan, KSW and Bronwen like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Oh, good. In that case it is a butterfly wing.
    Butterfly wing jewellery is not my forte (all I can think is poor butterfly), but as far as I know it was first made ca 1920.
    The style of your brooch looks older, but it could be a revival of an earlier style. Since 20th century historic revival styles aren't my forte either, we'll have to wait for the others.

IvaPan, Dessert58, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Not butterfly wing. It's too new, and looks all wrong. It looks older, but the construction and stone say 1990s or later. It's missing its dangles too.

IvaPan, Dessert58, KSW and 4 others like this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That’s dichroic glass. I’ve quite a bit of it, as well as true butterfly wing. That latter is Brazilian morpho and very distinctive in both colour and texture, mostly wonderful blues.

Id agree that this is eighties or nineties doing earlier.

IvaPan, baltojoe75, Dessert58 and 6 others like this.
  7. Curioser

Curioser Well-Known Member

I would have thought 1990's or so but the pin stem is very long and the simple C-clasp certainly has not been in use for decades.

8. Satin In A Coffin

Satin In A Coffin Well-Known Member

It's a made to look. Made to look older then it is. It does seem to be glass, that would be my take also.

IvaPan, Simona Buhus, KSW and 2 others like this.
  9. Curioser

Curioser Well-Known Member

First time I've seen such a thing. Live and learn~

Dessert58, NanaB, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  10. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

I think dichroic glass, too.....

Simona Buhus, Dessert58, KSW and 2 others like this.
  11. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Photo of the front is not in focus and can't see the detail.The back photo shows many solder balls and flow around the hinge and bezel.It has been repaired or modified at some time.

Simona Buhus, KSW and Bronwen like this.
  12. Ownedbybear

I’ve things which are nigh on brand new with C clasps.

Simona Buhus, KSW and kyratango like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Ditto. The safety chain attached to one of the dangle loops is very distracting.
    I had the same problem.
    Looks like the C-clasp was originally a bit further to the left (left on the photo, right to the wearer).
    It also looks like something has been done to the surface of the back. File marks maybe?

Simona Buhus and Dessert58 like this.
  14. Simona Buhus

Thank you so much. In theory how can one differentiate between dichroic glass and butterfly wing? Just seen few examples of blue diachronic glass on Etsy, they are so similar to butterfly wing.
    E23A946A-4C51-4391-9C73-C0D837C322D7.jpeg 74CB46C9-1F0F-4AD6-B7F6-3F9F50A9DC4D.jpeg 4AD06CD5-4106-4F56-8A0F-4858B3C43AE0.jpeg .

mirana and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Thanks for the extra photos, Simona.
    Frankly I don't see the structure lines of a butterfly wing. They look like veins, but are actually the 'bone' structure to hold the wing.
    And I can see that it shows different colours at different angles, which is a characteristic of dichroic glass.
    I hope this also answers your last question.

Simona Buhus and mirana like this.
  16. Ownedbybear

Aj has explained it better than I would, mine is usually to say I’ve seen a lot of them! As she says, you’d see the wing structure which you don’t have in that.

Simona Buhus and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. Simona Buhus

Brilliant, thank you so much.
    Xx

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted