Featured Is this American Coin Silver spoon?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Iouri, Aug 31, 2024.

1. Iouri

Iouri Well-Known Member

Hello to everyone. I'm not sure ,about this silver spoon-Where was made ,who are maker? The weight is only 36 grams .That spoon has mark letters ''IF''. Need your help. Thank you. IMG_9789.jpg IMG_9789.jpg IMG_9791.jpg IMG_9802.jpg IMG_9790.jpg IMG_9792.jpg

Figtree3, kyratango and johnnycb09 like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

So far the only mark I found with "IF" is James Fray from Ireland. but thats a reach as theres no other markings.

3. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

I'd guess Norway

4. Iouri

Iouri Well-Known Member

Ok ,that's good. Thank very much

5. Iouri

Iouri Well-Known Member

Two identical guesses, this is almost an answer...thank you very much.

6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

How do you figure that that Norway and Ireland are identical? much less the same as American Coin?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. Iouri

Iouri Well-Known Member

S
    Sorry about that. My mistake.

8. johnnycb09

Well, to be fair they both are in Europe.

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I tried to sharpen the image and enlarge two of the smaller images.....they ARE easier to read.......on the spoon handle, it's sort of looking like maybe like a thick "I" and smaller "w" next to it.

The second image, as @johnnycb09 said.....it looks like IF...all I did was sharpen, desaturate any color out and try to 'denoise' it.....to the right of "IF", I sharpened the bright letters & I think a number, but have no clue what they might mean....if anything!!

SPOON-gigapixel-high fidelity v2-4x.jpg

EnhancedIMG_9792-topaz-text-denoise-lighting-sharpen-upscale-2x.jpg

Potteryplease and johnnycb09 like this.
  10. johnnycb09

I see letters ? The middle could be an A ? Whats with the hatching under the IF ? I dont think Ive ever seen that.

Figtree3 and Aquitaine like this.
  11. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

It could have been used to “erase/delete” a poorly struck makers mark or another silversmiths makers mark. For example if you were buying stock in from another silversmith or if you purchased the business of another silversmith you may want to get rid of their mark and punch your own. If you bought out another silversmith with it could come all of the stock, their patterns, their equipment, maybe even their apprentice. I have a set of butter knives with what I presume is a monogram or crest all cross hatched out. They puzzled me when I was a newbie and on later examination I realized what was happening. If you were patient you could polish off old markings. This would be the easier way of doing it. Lots of silversmiths bought stock from other smiths if they couldn’t keep up with demand. That would be the other scenario. That’s my guess anyways.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted