Featured Is this amber?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by cfh, Jul 11, 2022.

1. cfh

cfh Well-Known Member

0CA9F3AF-832E-4132-9135-A9FBBB0EA2EB.jpeg 0CA9F3AF-832E-4132-9135-A9FBBB0EA2EB.jpeg 815894C2-D3B5-4753-A203-B48265676A2D.jpeg 76C358B9-43E0-489C-9193-886113645054.jpeg I have a few amber pieces in my collection, and I recently purchased a black light. I had read that amber fluoresces under black light. So I grabbed my pieces that I thought were amber and headed to the closet with my light. Almost all of my honey amber necklaces turned this greenish color. However, my two pendants that I thought might be egg yolk amber did not have this color at all. I added my honey amber necklace in the photo for color comparison.
    My question is are the yellow pendants real amber? The only markings are 925 on both.

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

They probably are, but may have been heat treated. That can change the result. They look like modern Polish pendants.

Figtree3 and cfh like this.
  3. cfh

cfh Well-Known Member

Thank you! I was wondering what the country of origin might be!

4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Those settigns are very typical.

cfh likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Lovely egg yolk amber pendants, and I agree, very likely Polish.
    Honey amber and egg yolk amber are different colours, so they fluoresce differently. Some don't fluoresce at all. Your pendants fluoresce like some egg yolk ambers, sometimes it is more whitish.

Nearly all amber is heat-treated, especially amber beads, but that doesn't influence the fluorescence.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
    stracci, Figtree3 and cfh like this.
  6. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

The color of the string through the balls is intriguing to me.

7. cfh

cfh Well-Known Member

Thanks! All the websites I googled showed honey amber. I couldn’t find anything about how egg yolk amber fluoresces. Y’all are fabulously knowledgeable on this forum.

komokwa, Any Jewelry and wlwhittier like this.
  8. cfh

cfh Well-Known Member

How so? That necklace is a Soviet necklace. I base that on the fact that the earrings I purchased from the same sale had the hammer and sickle mark on them. They looked like the were a set to me.

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Amen to that!

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It makes it presence known, doesn't it.;)

cfh likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted