Is this a tourist painting?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Mill Cove Treasures, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

This is a copy of the Girl with Kitten by Jean-Baptiste Perronneau. The original is in the National Gallery in London. This is not a print, it is painted in oil and the frame is gold leafed. Is this something that was sold in the Museum Shop? I know she had it P1300723rs800a.jpg P1300723rs800a.jpg P1300727ps1rs900.jpg P1300729ps1rs850.jpg P1300730ps1rs800.jpg P1300747ps1rs900.jpg for many years, at least from the 1980's maybe even longer. It is about 6" x 5". Thank you.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  2. Mill Cove Treasures

I don't know why that first photo posted twice.

Christmasjoy, Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

More likely something from a department store or furniture store, and it's older than the 80s. This sort of thing, with that kind of backing, was popular in the 50s ... best guess. Someone else might know better.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Decorative reproduction.

Debora

5. Mill Cove Treasures

Thank you both. She traveled, a lot, so I thought it might have been something she picked up as a souvenir in a Museum.

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Are you sure yours is a painting? It appears to be a print with an applied surface. Take a look how the "brush strokes" don't correspond to the color underneath.

Debora

7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

8. Mill Cove Treasures

I brought out my heavy duty magnifying glass. It is a painting and the strokes match. I think I might be able to get a close-up around the sleeve and cat in the daylight tomorrow. The paint and brush strokes match up. What you may be seeing, are the brush strokes across the surface from an application of varnish.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

There are several painted copies of this currently listed on eBay France "Perronneau Fille et Chat", some on silk. It's a popular image.

Draft saved Draft deleted