Featured Is this a recent case study?- Skill level?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Boland, Jun 18, 2023.

1. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

0B23EFF1-7616-4507-B458-7004DCF5399C.jpeg Hi all,no great art mystery here. Probably a amateur local artist I think (and I might have found her)

Not sure why I like it. I was just wondering would this be considered a case study? Skill of artist? I think the cats are better than the dogs? I thought it might look nice (or at least something different) framed with a simple white frame? Or would that just be a waste of money? Its 49x69cm and painted on artist cardboard/paper. Thanks for any comments (apologies if I wasted someone’s time :))

2. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

I think this is so charming! Watercolor is such a difficult medium.

reader, judy, Bakersgma and 4 others like this.
  3. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Thank you for commenting. Glad you also like it (I wasn’t so sure about my own opinion)

4. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

5. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

I like it very much and would definitely frame it.

(One could also frame it rather importantly, and have it signed in the unreadable, but delightfully decorative cursive of someone named Van Rcjullf. Or thereabouts. ;) :playful: :D )

judy and Boland like this.
  6. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Finally an artist with a clearly written name!

7. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I like it and was wondering if they were not pets owned by her or someone she had a commission for. My reason for saying that is that i paint in water color and have contemplated painting all of our dogs past and present in one picture as a gift for my husband.

judy, Any Jewelry, Boland and 2 others like this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I love the guilty-looking dog and the kink-tailed cat.

judy and Boland like this.
  9. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Ha ha..Thank you for the reply.

judy likes this.
  10. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Very good to hear the opinion of another watercolour artist. I didn’t consider that it might be a commission or just her own pets (thanks for that viewpoint )

I think you should definitely do the painting,sure your husband love it. Thanks again for the reply

Potteryplease and judy like this.
  11. architrave

architrave Well-Known Member

12. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Thank you for the link. Yes,I also thought maybe but not so sure. Maybe not. Art looks very different.But she also work in several different art disciplines so again maybe.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2023
  13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I think it is the same artist. If you look at the way the animals are painted in the Goya pastiche, it is the same style.

IMG_3107.jpg

I like her work, using classic masterpieces for a mix of tongue-in-cheek and mild criticism. The Goya one is more poignant, but so is the original.

14. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Hi AJ,thank you for the reply and comment. Well that would be interesting. These “re-mixed’ classic works are much more thought provoking. Just didn’t seem like the same lady that paints such a charming picture of 3 cats and 2 dogs (on what I would picture a quiet Sunday afternoon) Maybe I will e-mail the gallery?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Looks like a study, as you already thought.
    Good idea.:)

Boland likes this.
  16. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Thanks.I e-mailed the gallery. I will give feedback if I get a response :)

Bakersgma, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Total charmer…

Boland likes this.
  18. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

My favorite.

Debora

IMG_3700.jpg

19. Any Jewelry

Yes, very much like the Venetians feel it is.
    I never understood why they allowed ships like that in such a vulnerable lagoon. Apparently those people hardly spend any money in Venice either, they sleep, eat and drink aboard.

komokwa and Boland like this.
  20. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

That’s a pity. Love Venice

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted