Featured is this a real Tiffany lamp?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Paul W, Jul 3, 2022.

1. Paul W

Paul W Active Member

Hi,
    New member here. I saw this lamp (base) at an estate sale today. Fairly expensive, I did not buy it, and it is still there. The bronze sculpturing is beautiful, and heavy. It has a nondescript cloth shade that went with it. Marked on the base "TIFFANY & Co." (double-stamped).
    The sculpted figure is maybe 16"-18" tall. I can't find anything like it online. Any Tiffany pros here?
    IMG_20220702_115223.jpg IMG_20220702_115232.jpg IMG_20220702_115250.jpg

Thanks!

judy, Any Jewelry, bercrystal and 2 others like this.
  2. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

One of the rare instances where Google Lens image search found something useful for me!
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/401951368611
    Screenshot_2022-07-02-23-36-18.png

sculpture(4).jpg
    Freestanding sculptures but the one on the left is the same as the lamp lady.

kyratango, judy, pearlsnblume and 3 others like this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Wondering if it should be marked somewhere actually ON the lamp itself…..I’m no expert on it!! Was she half THAT expensive if the sizes are the same??

judy, LauraGarnet02 and Bronwen like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I can't find a woman sheltering a child..:inpain:

judy, pearlsnblume and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

judy and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  6. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Retailed by Tiffany & Co.?

7. LauraGarnet02

8. LauraGarnet02

Well at least we know the name of the sculptor. Hopefully someone can dig up info about a connection to Tiffany's selling a lamp or not.

judy and komokwa like this.
  9. Paul W

Paul W Active Member

Thanks! Yes, that's the one. The one I saw did not have Carrier-Belleuse's name on it. So, who's the culprit? Who mis-signed theirs, Tiffany or C.B.? or could it be a joint production, signed two different ways.

And, should I run back tomorrow morning and snag it for $500-$800? eBay asking prices for Carrier-Belleuse's pieces are high, and buyers are few.

In the case of the lamp, the electrical components do not mess with the sculpture or its base, which is nice.
    IMG_20220702_115301.jpg

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  10. Paul W

Paul W Active Member

Yes, I suspect retailed by Tiffany & Co. But they should have let the artist sign his work.

The one I saw could have been 60cm tall, or close to it.

Here’s an angle of the woman sheltering a child.

IMG_20220702_115500.jpg

Attached Files:

bercrystal, kyratango, judy and 2 others like this.
  11. Paul W

Paul W Active Member

PS - I really like this forum, where a person can sign up and post immediately, no wait, no screening. Easy to post photos, too.

Owliza, bercrystal, Debora and 5 others like this.
  12. Paul W

Paul W Active Member

bercrystal, kyratango, judy and 2 others like this.
  13. Roaring20s

14. LauraGarnet02

I can't answer any of those questions for you. I've been out searching the internet for any connection between Tiffany and Company with the sculptor Carrier Belleuse and find nothing. It's possible a customer commissioned Tiffany's to attach their bronze sculpture to a lamp base, but I find no info about Tiffany making custom-made lamps either.

Eeek! I can't help you make a decision to spend that much money without knowing for sure what you're buying.

judy and Roaring20s like this.
  15. LauraGarnet02

16. LauraGarnet02

@Paul W @Roaring20s
    You two really dug up a lot of info while I did not refresh the page and see any of it!

judy likes this.
  17. Roaring20s

The statue is one of the Four Seasons (I'd say winter), as shown here (the link lead to a fee service) ...
    Screen Shot 2022-07-02 at 11.09.42 PM.png

18. LauraGarnet02

Okay, the title L'hiver / Hiver means she is Winter. And The keeper of the flame!

judy and Roaring20s like this.
  19. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Paul W. - This is why I love this forum! The people here are so smart and helpful. I'm a picker that likes old & unusual and usually 1/2 the stuff I find I need help with - this forum has never disappointed!
    PS - Run, don't walk, back and grab that beautiful piece!! That's a score!

bercrystal likes this.
  20. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Laura-I can't believe Google Lens came thru.I'll scan in a pic of a 1950's Predicta TV and G Lens sends me dozens of pics of Mickey Mouse hats-magnifique.
    Roaring is the 'Iron Chef' of Lens,but Laura You did good.$500-$700 (to perhaps) make a grand,do you feel lucky Paul ? Then again, one day in Vegas could chew that up quick.

Roaring20s and LauraGarnet02 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted