Is This A Phoenix Bird of Paradise Vase?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bdigger, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Saw this at a yard sale today for $5. My first thought was Phoenix Consolidated as maker. Have since figured out that the bird is a Bird of Paradise. Found a different P/C Bird of Partadise vase with same bird but totally different shape. Couldn't find one in this shape or color (Orangy Pink). It's just over 9 1/2" tall. 001 (449x640).jpg 003 (523x640).jpg
    thank you in advance!

2. rro2000

rro2000 Active Member

It looks like a pheasant.

3. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Look at Tiara remake of an old McKee mold. Likely made by Indiana. Pheasant or bird of paradise. correction Tiara called it Empress vase see page 49 in Ron Teal Sr's book "Tiara Exclusives"

4. Bdigger

Well I 'll Be Darned. Thank you George. Tiara it is! ( I Hate Tiara!) No wonder all my searching on Phoenix consolidated didn't turn up anything! I learned a lot today!~

5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I believe this is one of Fenton's made for Tiara.
    I'll look for my book and see if I can find the name for you.
    Back later tonight

6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Well after pulling out the Fenton Made for Other Companies book. The vase is slightly different. The one Fenton made has a peacock on it. Looks a little different in shape too.

Indiana did make things for Tiara, so go with what George says.

7. Bdigger

Thank you Pat! I appreciate you looking!

8. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Personally I would use Fenton or possibly Indiana as the maker. These are mold blown and perspective can change the appearance of the shoulders. I said likely but have no specific evidence to support it. I looked at Fentons and think it is the same. They also show the other items of Empress sold by Tiara. This is like L G Wright, A A Imports etc collectors do not seem to call who made it and will argue if you tell them Tiara or Wright did not actually pour the glass.

Draft saved Draft deleted