Is this a mythrian sword?!?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by skyshark, Jul 5, 2023.

1. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

I've posted here before.. currently the executor of my parents estate and discovered this.. this looks.. mythrian.. thoughts?!

If u remember me my thumbnails also don't work on my phone. I am sorry.. wanted to put in the message body.

Attached Files:

2. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

isn't Mythril a made up ore by Tolkien?

skyshark likes this.
  3. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

Nah. Maybe I pronounced it wrong. Greek/scythian. Old religious cult.

Ur thinking of the amazing armor

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Were you thinking Mycenaean?

5. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

People that followed Mithraism. Not much known. I'm on a crazy ID quest. I believe this sword was used in Mithrian ceremony.

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I believe that Mithras was a god whose cult was primarily Roman and military, so comparison to Roman weaponry might be the way to go.

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  7. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

I got many swords that all have animals on them. Which tells me greek/scythian. However the grapevine links it to the mithra cult.. I need non destructive testing on these pieces

8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Here ya go!!

Bluish sword.jpg

skyshark likes this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

isn't that a dagger?

techbiker likes this.
  10. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

It's absolutely a thrusting weapon, but this is hefty for a dagger. Maybe still used as a off hand thruster. I believe the grapevine on the blade was foe ceremony. It would of, I imagine, pulled out a lot of blood because imo the grapevine forms a Tesla Valve.

11. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

12. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

13. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

From the colors/corrosion, it looks like the dagger is made of bronze. By Roman times, when the cult of Mithras was popular, the use of iron/steel would be more likely.

The design along the blade does not appear to be grapevine. (If it were intended to have grape/wine symbolism, some grapes would have been included.). It looks more like an acanthus leaf scroll, a common classical motif first used by the ancient Greeks.

The style of the pommel resembles a form referred to as "double ear", as seen on Luristan (Lorestan) bronze weapons from northwestern Iran, dating from 1100 - 650 BC.

Luristan double ear pommel - small.jpg
    https://www.invaluable.com/auction-...ronze-double-ear-pommel-sword-37-c-e1343a1aa4

https://www.nationalgeographic.co.u...luristan-bronzes-still-puzzles-archaeologists

If your dagger is authentic, it seems it would have originated during the late bronze - early iron ages, in some region with both Greek and Iranian/Persian influence.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  14. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

Good info. Double ear design, most of my swords have that I was wondering what it was called.

What kind of test do I need to have on these swords? I imagine some form of non destructive material testing would be a good idea. I just don't know what the test would be called.

15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's called....get thee to a museum !;)

skyshark likes this.
  16. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

I've reached out to the MET, but maybe I spoke to the wrong person. They said, essentially, unless I'm looking to donate they won't do anything.

Needless to say I'm not looking to donate.

komokwa likes this.
  17. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

skyshark and komokwa like this.
  18. 2manybooks

X-ray fluorescence is a good technique, as well as energy dispersive x-ray diffraction (ED-XRD). Both can provide information on the metal composition at the surface. However, such an analysis will only be useful if you have information on the metallurgy of similar, well documented objects to compare it with.

So the first step would be to get a better idea of the likely origin based on the visible characteristics, and then find published analyses of similar archeological objects with known provenience. Armed with that information, you would have a basis for interpreting any metallurgical analysis you might obtain.

AATA Online (Art and Archaeology Technical Abstracts) is a useful resource for finding publications on such technical and analytical subjects. It provides a way to search for particular terms and topics, and provides bibliographic info and brief abstracts of relevant articles. (You need to find the publications elsewhere if you want to read them in their entirety.)
    https://aata.getty.edu/primo-explore/search?vid=AATA

As examples, here are links to abstracts of a few articles that provide analyses of Luristan bronzes:

https://aata.getty.edu/permalink/f/1kjitv/GETTY_AATA9934099602401551

https://aata.getty.edu/permalink/f/1kjitv/GETTY_AATA9934106617901551

https://aata.getty.edu/permalink/f/1kjitv/GETTY_AATA9934103248601551

Do you have any information on where or when your parents acquired the dagger?

19. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

First off thank you for putting time into giving me information. Truly thankful.

Yes, in 2009, maybe slightly before that, my dad had a friend that was from Iraq but educated abroad and traveled the Middle east during that time. Not sure how my dad's friend acquired this stuff, but I got customs paperwork showing it was shipped to him. Most of it was shipped from India I believe. He wanted this stuff to be his and my moms retirement, but cancer had different plans for both of them... truly bs. But now I am tasked with some really cool shit. My goal is to bring it to light the right way. If it is mythrian as I believe, idk how much can be learned from this stuff but..

I am a US Army Vet. I re enlisted under Saddams Cross swords to become a
    Airborne. I got pinned wings from the US and Netherlands. I don't think this stuff accidently found its way to me...

I say that because we had a interpreter than appeared with us, when I was deployed to Iraq, for about a month and took a strange liking to me.. loved playing chess with me.. I didn't think anyyyyything of it at the time, but the dots.. idk this is personal speculation... I think it's legit and real.. the swords are the tip of what my dad had collected.. I hope it's real not for my personal gain, but because if it is, it's time lost treasure that is ready to reveal itself.. imo... sheesh

Last edited: Jul 6, 2023
    2manybooks likes this.
  20. 2manybooks

I finally looked back at some of your earlier posts, and see that some of this ground has been covered before.

Do you know if your father paid the mysterious online contact for these things? As @komokwa and @Any Jewelry have pointed out, many of your items look like they are copies. We don't know how the objects were represented, or misrepresented, when your father acquired them.

You need to find an antiquities dealer that is willing to look at your objects. They may recognize them as a known type of reproduction.

I don't know where you are located, but you might start by calling or emailing Fagan Arms - https://www.faganarms.com/

If they can't help, they may be able to suggest someone else who can.

Draft saved Draft deleted