Is this a great seal?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by hunt2, Mar 26, 2024.

1. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

31.png 30.png Does anyone know if this is a great seal or just a commemorative seal. On one side it has the arms of emperor Josef II and reads in french :Communicated by M.a Dutrieux. Patent of appointment of Mr. Beving to the functions of alderman of justice of Grevenmacher. And on the other side it is emperor josef II on the throne. it measures 12,3 cm wide and it probably made of pipeclay. Via google photo search you will only find the site where i bought it from. And i am not sure if the seller's discription is accurate.

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Looks like a decorative item to me.

mirana likes this.
  3. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

4. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

mmarco102 likes this.
  5. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

Seeing it’s a 19th C item, would lead me to believe it commemorative. Great seals are generally inscribed with the establishment of the emperorship/nation. He appears to have been very busy in 1788, withdrawing from Barvaria(Germany) which lead to Germany's current state, and fighting the Hadsburg-Ottoman War along side Russia.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2024
  6. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

i have found out by translation of the french tekst that it is a designation patent seal made in order of emperor Jozef II

mmarco102 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted