Is This A Genuine Sevres Mark?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by TiffanyH, Jul 29, 2021.

1. TiffanyH

TiffanyH New Member

1F0997FA-D37E-47A2-BDAC-8D38488B6B9F.jpeg 9EF80E06-8200-45E6-BCCC-E48C8C4C477B.jpeg 2E499805-6DEC-455B-9C77-85CA666057BE.jpeg 3EA9C479-6F67-4BE4-9252-01DC8D42BBEB.jpeg Hello! I found this at an estate sale last week and think it might be authentic (lots of quality, authentic items at this sale). Any ideas if 1F0997FA-D37E-47A2-BDAC-8D38488B6B9F.jpeg 9EF80E06-8200-45E6-BCCC-E48C8C4C477B.jpeg it’s authentic and what it exactly is? My guess, with very minimal research, is a hot chocolate mug, but….

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i can't find that one...............:oops:

3. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

It looks like a modern stamped mark.

John Brassey, DizzyDaff and Bakersgma like this.
  4. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

It’s not old Sevres

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Heck, it's not even old. I'd call it "vintage last week." Maybe the 1990s, but to an old fart like me that's last week.

John Brassey likes this.
  6. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Genuine antique Sevres is quite rare and not often found outside of museums. Because of its superior quality, the Sevres mark is one of the most copied marks in porcelain by those trying to imply quality without putting the work in. I suspect your piece is a Chinese copy trying to look like Sevres. There would have been a foil Made in China label which is easily removed. The decoration is hurriedly done and the shape is also a bit strange especially the handle. As also noted note the mark is wrong. It's done in a modern script and is too large relative to the size of the piece. There is a lot of very nice French china to collect where you would not have to worry as much about reproductions. Most Limoges comes to mind.
    Don

7. TiffanyH

TiffanyH New Member

Thank you so much for your reply! I appreciate your knowledge and help!

dgbjwc likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted