Featured Is this a genuine 18th century Staffordshire salt glazed charger? Or have I a fake?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KylieS, Aug 5, 2023.

1. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

Hello all! Found this at a brocante today at my usual hunting time of 2pm ;) It was filthy when I bought it and I initially thought it was one of those faux-aged Italian productions but when I scraped at the muck with a fingernail the dust parted, showing the cream glaze underneath (I've included the first image of before the cleaning). Something was calling to me - so, at 5 euros, I thought I should buy first and research later.

Google image search immediately goes to 18th C Staffordshire salt glaze pottery, selling for hundreds of euros. But: did I really pick this genuine item up from a local dealer, with no significant damage, on full and proud display, 6 hours after the start of the sale for 5 euros??? It hardly seems credible, so I'm wondering if there is something I'm missing - a surfeit of repros, etc - and that it is in fact too good to be true.

It has no marks, a few small knocks, wear is consistent with an antique piece - but whether *that* age of antique remains to be seen. It's a roughly 38cm diameter.

So there it is...I have never handled anything like this before, but the weight feels similar to fine faience pieces that I've had c1810-1860. I would love to hear from greater minds than mine about whether this is the 'real deal', or a nice repro! Thanks so much for looking :)

20230805_161851.jpg 20230805_174330.jpg 20230805_174342.jpg 20230805_174348.jpg 20230805_174403.jpg 20230805_174423.jpg 20230805_175005.jpg
    20230805_174959.jpg

Last edited: Aug 5, 2023
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's tin glazed rather than salt glazed.

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That's what I thought.

johnnycb09 and KSW like this.
  4. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

Thank you for looking : ) could you please tell me how you can tell that? I have a lot of tin glaze pottery and this platter doesn't look or feel like those to me, though the tin glaze pieces I have are more rustic than this.

The tin glaze pieces I have are much lighter and show different (softer) definition on the inner rims and edges, and also when they chip they show a thicker layer of glaze. Also this platter has an orange peel stipple on the surface. So I was pretty sure it was salt glaze.

I'm no expert though so please feel free to tell me where I'm going wrong here! I honestly don't know, so I'm just telling you my thinking, rather than arguing the point. I would love to hear more about what to look for!

KSW likes this.
  5. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

John Brassey and KSW like this.
  6. Ownedbybear

I have no clue why that site claims the platter is salt glaze!

that white is classic tin glaze, the nibbles on yours show it pretty clearly. Salt glaze is much rougher and almost sandpaper like sometimes. Your stipples are simply misses in the glaze or where it’s popped in the firing.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  7. Ownedbybear

8. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Last edited: Aug 5, 2023
    KylieS likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

If they call it white salt glaze because it is dipped in slip before firing, I can't imagine where salt comes into it.
    Surely if you throw salt into the kiln after it has had a slip dip, you get a very mottled effect. Probably not too pretty either.

10. Ownedbybear

I can’t make sense of it either. Where’s a potter when you need them!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. say_it_slowly

Here is an early example from V&A. I don't know that the OPs was done in this manner, only that it was used. Also, apparently, the more times salt was added to the firing, the smoother the surface.

I'll be out for the day but I can look for more info later if no one else finds it. I'll also upload some pic of my bits if I can. (new laptop and no good editing program yet)

https://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O71121/tea-bottle-unknown/

[​IMG]

KylieS, kentworld and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

That could be it.

KylieS likes this.
  13. Ownedbybear

Fascinating. And totally different from the salt glazed stoneware I’ve rather too much of.

14. say_it_slowly

OK, I'll give it a go.

This info is from Edwards and Hampson's "White Salt-Glazed Stoneware of the British Isle" book.

Concerning the smoothness of the glaze
    [​IMG]

Concerning dipped ware. I'm not sure I'm clear on all the types it might have been used on, or if they are either.

[​IMG]

From Skerry and Hood's "Salt-Glazed Stoneware in Early America" book showing some of the plate styles 1755-1770.
    [​IMG]

Some sherds they show
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These below are mine, all 18th salt-glazed. I tried to pick some that show some similarities. Apologies for the photos, edited on my phone.

A charger/platter of similar size, about 40 cm (16")
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Poor old teapot but the break on the spout shows the look of the surface and body.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Punchbowl
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2023
    KylieS, kentworld and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. say_it_slowly

The inside of the lid on this teapot shows the glaze look.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are a few more types I have but don't add too much additional info.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Fascinating stuff, SIS, thanks for the education!! I would've said dipped rather than salt glaze, but now I will reconsider with this new info. That's a lot of salt that they threw in! I think that charger looks right for the period, but the finish was throwing me off and that may be because it's not dipped, but salt glaze! If you're on Facebook you might post to the British Pottery and Porcelain Discussion group. No values are discussed and selling is not permitted on the group.

KylieS, say_it_slowly and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. say_it_slowly

I don't do Facebook, I like it here:)

The OP might try there.

komokwa and KylieS like this.
  18. Ownedbybear

That’s brilliant, sis, absolutely superb.

KylieS and say_it_slowly like this.
  19. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I meant the OP!:shame:

komokwa, KylieS and say_it_slowly like this.
  20. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

WOW @say_it_slowly ! Thank you so much for that amazing information - clearly you have a fabulous collection of these items (as well as an extensive old-school library!) and a wonderful knowledge of these old wares. I am so grateful for the time you've put into that, really incredible.

(I'm sorry to not reply sooner but was on holiday this week and for some reason couldn't connect to Antiquers on my phone! Some problem with the security certificates or some such)

I think that the 4th pattern down looks exactly right for a press-molded platter, and one of the shards on the first link you posted (Antietam Furnace, 18WA288) looks exactly right too. So that is encouraging. Also the examples from your collection are incredibly useful too - the back of the platters, the close up of the stippled effect of the surface of the teapot, and the nibbles showing the clay color are all very useful and make me think that this is the 'real deal'.

Since it's quite high stakes, I'm going to ask an auction house to look at it for me and maybe sell it that way too...I don't think my normal Etsy crew will be the right outlet for this. Though perhaps I should try eBay? But it would be an odd object for someone with no selling history there to pitch up with...maybe I should start a little smaller ;)

I'll update if I get any news from the auction house. Here's hoping they are familiar with this type of thing!!

Thank you so much again : - )

say_it_slowly, komokwa and kentworld like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted