Is this a common thing?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by vintagerobin, Sep 1, 2024.

1. vintagerobin

vintagerobin Well-Known Member

This came with a shelf lot that I bought. It looks like a cigar or cigarette box but what I'm wondering is, was it common to take engraving plates and make things with them. I imagine this box was made for a family member of the person being married.

But is this a common thing?

100_3873.JPG

kyratango and Boland like this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Not as common as it might be. Have to wonder if it stayed in the family. Daughter named Joleen? Have to wonder how it worked out.

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I've never seen one, but engraved invitations are all but extinct now so there's nothing to make the boxes from. It was probably done as a gift for the couple who got married.

vintagerobin, kyratango and Boland like this.
  4. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Most items today are laser engraved since it is fast and less expensive than hand engraving. I found one box on ebay.... https://www.ebay.com/itm/375514605529

There are still many engravers using a variety of tools.... push,hammer and chisel,power assisted ,etc.... https://www.engravingforum.com/

vintagerobin, kyratango and Boland like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd think a gift to the new couple. The engraving plate for their invite. A cigarette box appropriate for time. Here's another from 1950. Groom was a Pierpoint and announcement was in the New York Times with photograph and above the fold which will give you some idea of the class of society in which this was done.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3755146055...MpJFAPsXydkESdC31hVQiFuHoyCQHVRBoC2scQAvD_BwE

Debora

vintagerobin and kyratango like this.
  6. vintagerobin

kentworld likes this.
  7. vintagerobin

Thanks everyone!

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

What does yours read? Should have the date as wedding invites typically do.

Debora

9. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

10. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Here's the 2011 obit for their son Junior, born in '54. Joleen was still living at the time.

Bronwen and i need help like this.
  11. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Joleen was living in Florida after NJ
    81E30FE7-AC13-45FC-AF2E-3AFBEA53FFD3.jpeg

12. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted