Featured Is this a Biedermeier desk?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Gold Dial, Jun 30, 2024 at 7:56 PM.

1. Gold Dial

Gold Dial Member

Hi,
    I recently purchased this in MN for $50 (Size: 46” wide, 23” deep, 46” tall).
    The seller didn’t know anything about it. It appears to have a pine frame with mahogany veneer and some other wood that I don’t recognize for the drawers.

It looks to me like it is a Biedermeier desk. Is this right? It seems strange that it found its way to Minnesota.

I don’t think the handles and escutcheons are original. Should I replace them? What’s appropriate?

If anyone has a more accurate or precise date or region, I’d like to hear it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

LOVE how they carried the wood/veneer (?) down from the very top & down the roll top to the bottom of the piece!!!!!

ulilwitch, Gold Dial and Ghopper1924 like this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

For $50 even my cheap behind would have drug that home ! Its lovely. Theres nothing written or stamped anywhere ? Pull out every drawer and look inside the desk. Check the bottom too. I dont think its European , could be American from the same period. Im also wondering if it might not be a rural craftsman type piece .

4. pewter2

pewter2 Well-Known Member

referred to as a cylinder desk ....nice find , good price and presents well even with replacement hardware..should polish up well.

5. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Drawers may be satin wood but wait for others more knowledgeable.

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The style is Biedermeier and it looks period, but let's wait for the experts to say if it is as old as it looks.
    German immigrants? A cabinet maker of German origin?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2024 at 12:02 PM
  7. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

@Any Jewelry has good insight here. I would agree with a German immigrant as the craftsman.

This is an unusual, almost folky adaptation of the early 19th Century Biedermeier style, adapted to the U.S.
    Midwest. The outside veneer appears to be flame mahogany with what looks to be satinwood interior drawer fronts. The drawers beneath the actual desk have inappropriate Colonial Revival hardware: the originals may have been ceramic, glass or wood knobs with wood escutcheons. The piece probably dates to the mid 19th Century ca. 1840-60. Given the rather individualistic take on Biedermeier, it may be one of a kind.
    $50 for this is a stone bargain. I’d take it home, too!

8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Not really enough details to say this is Biedermeier. Think a pretty basic late classical piece. Could be European in origin but just as likely American. Agree that the front hardware is wrong.

9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

10. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Yep, a crazy bargain alright!!

johnnycb09 likes this.
  11. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Every weekend that I watch an auction I’m shocked at the amazing furniture you can buy for $50-$250. 1/3 or more of it passes and you can probably take it for less if you call the auction house after. It’s unreal.

I even saw a great classic arts & crafts quarter saw oak desk at a sale for $45 this weekend. No one took it. Small size perfect for an apartment. Nothing amazing but couldn’t be more A&C, which is the style that is actually in demand other than MCM. Just left sitting there in excellent condition. Will likely go in a dumpster or hopefully to thrift.

For folks that are loaded I understand going to high end contemporary stores and buying new. For those that want a sterile modern decor I understand going to ikea somewhat. For the rest of everyone they should absolutely be looking to buy vintage and antique pieces to complement what they have. The bargains are easily found.

Draft saved Draft deleted