Featured Is this 20th C Meissen?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KylieS, Sep 27, 2023.

1. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

Hello all, I'm a newbie with porcelain but couldn't resist gambling a (very) little on this platter on the weekend - it is marked for Meissen, has a production number and nicely painted. But I have never had any Meissen before, I know it is faked a lot, and I don't want to put it out there as Meissen if there's a chance that it isn't the real deal.

The mark seems to be correct for the one in use from 1934. Pattern number I think is 134. I have found similar platters by image search, but all others I have seen have been gilded on the border and handles - no sign at all of that on my platter. Otherwise, it is in excellent condition, hardly used.

I would love to hear what you think! Also, I know we don't give values here, but if you have any references as to sites where I could go to see reasonable values that would be great - I'm seeing a LOT of variation so I'm not sure where to pitch this one.

Thanks for looking! 20230924_142524[1].jpg 20230924_191854.jpg 20230924_191833.jpg 20230924_192004.jpg 20230925_090706.jpg 20230925_090628.jpg 20230925_090701.jpg

2. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

They are still producing Meissen and yes that mark is copied a lot. It looks very much like it is correct and likely late 20th/early 21st century.

3. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Looks good for Meissen to me.

Figtree3, John Brassey and KylieS like this.
  4. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

Thank you ! Just wondering if there's anything that points to those late dates for you? I saw that mark was in use since 1934, and from what I've seen, other sellers seem to be noting these types of patterns as around 1950s. I'm not an expert at all so just wanting to learn about how you'd attribute a date. Thank you again!

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

6. komokwa

to me...the two X's...or sword handles are way too small.............

7. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

Thanks for looking and for the marks list :) I don't really see that discrepancy in the sword handle size myself, it is a hand painted mark so usual to see a little variation?

8. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

Thank you for this - I was wondering how to read this...the mark looks like the 1934 mark, does it mean it would have been between 1934 until 1945 when a new mark is introduced? Or does it mean it appear any time after 1934?

9. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

Just an update that I have found this form on Replacements website but in a 12" form, with blue onion pattern. Blue Onion ("Sword" Backstamp) 12" Oval Handled Tray by Meissen (Germany) | Replacements, Ltd.

They also seem to have used it in different floral patterns, such as this one (16") 220110 16" Oval Serving Platter by Meissen (Germany) | Replacements, Ltd.

So maybe it's right? The pattern name for mine is Scattered Flowers, in production since 1820 and still made according to Replacements, so that's not much help for a date!

There's also this one, very similar, but with a basket weave pattern and gilding...Rare Antique 20" Meissen Scattered Flowers Basket Weave Platter with Tab Handles | eBay

Last edited: Sep 27, 2023
    Figtree3 likes this.
  10. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

Don't know much about Meissen but the quality of the decor looks excellent.

KylieS likes this.
  11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If it's not Meissen it's sure giving it the old college try.

KylieS likes this.
  12. komokwa

[​IMG][​IMG]''

"I don't really see that discrepancy in the sword handle size myself,"

even hand painted...these folks are very protective of their marks...

Last edited: Sep 28, 2023
    John Brassey likes this.
  13. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

It looks slightly different between these 2 pics but I think the image angle of my mark is making it look more pronounced. It's not that different. And also it's not the 1972 mark - maybe compare it to the one from 1934?

14. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

Also this from an expert site:

• Those neat and concise illustrations, (above), were created for publication. The actual hand-painted Meissen marks found on their porcelain pieces would look more like the images below.
    [​IMG]
    To me it seems natural there would be a little variation between the painters, like handwriting.

kentworld likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted