Featured Is there Something FISHY about this metal tribe necklace?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by vitry-le-francois, Aug 31, 2022.

1. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

Whatcha think? A cheap repro? A real tribal necklace used by the WhaWha WhoaWhoa WheeWhee tribe? Stop it! Be cereal for once! Geez!

I bought it at a local auction because I've been attracted to fish motif objects my entire life. Fish bowls, plates, cups, flatware. Doesn't matter. I like it!

Anyway, can ya SCALE back fish1.jpg fish3.jpg fish4.jpg fish5.jpg fish6.jpg fish7.jpg some info for me?

Thanks!

2. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Firstly let me just say that I know nothing about tribal pieces (or jewellery for that matter) But I still I wouldn’t think this is tribal. Also to me this doesn’t look ‘cheap’ it looks like quality and well made. Is it relatively heavy? Wonder what the material is. Looks polished (as first glance the fish part almost looks like silverplate) I really like the fish detail! Anyway other more knowledgeable members will have real answers for you. Should be interesting!

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I concur. No way this is "tribal."

Can you imagine some tribal member sitting around to make all those tiny springs?

Be cereal yourself. ;):hilarious:

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Firstly let me just say that....I have never heard you so full of piss & vinegar , sounding in such an animated good mood like you're high on life...or other substance !!!!:playful::playful::playful::woot::woot::woot:...;)

you don't give a size, but it's a choker for sure....and I can't place it with any tribe I know of...........still....it's wonderful !!!

5. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

I think you're floundering

6. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

7. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

8. Hollyblue

They are not springs,just a wire wrap making the 2 loops and takes very little time.

9. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Cool necklace!

Very similar necklaces are being described with some/all of the following words: miao hmong hill tribe. I know little to nothing about this style of jewelry so I cannot verify if any of the statements are true.

this one is nearly identical to yours
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1154781364...pid=5338596370&customid=&toolid=10001&mkevt=1
    [​IMG]

a variation of the theme here
    https://poshmark.com/listing/Vintag...monial-Etched-collar-6047e2346e28465fa24b6c43
    [​IMG]

and another here (looooong link just click the word "here' to see the listing on Mercari

10. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

11. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

kyratango, quirkygirl and Bronwen like this.
  12. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Very cool and nice.....thought it had an India-ish look to it too....also thought there might be some tiny marks on the backs of some of those 'dangles' in your next to last picture @vitry-le-francois, but I also could be totally WRONG too!!! Tried to clean it up a little.....

fish6.jpg

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  13. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Interesting. Was really thinking those were little springs

Aquitaine and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  14. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  15. Hollyblue

16. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

17. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

18. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

19. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

WOW!! Yoots all are simply amazing :)) THANKS for all the great info!

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted