Is there really a premium for books with uncut pages?

Discussion in 'Books' started by AntiqueBytes, Jan 14, 2022.

1. AntiqueBytes

AntiqueBytes Well-Known Member

I once heard there was a markup or premium paid for old books with uncut pages. I was unable to find such proof on ebay at the time I searched. Maybe splitting pages beats biting one's fingernails?

pearlsnblume likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's the book that counts......first and foremost....

Jon L and Aquitaine like this.
  3. AntiqueBytes

AntiqueBytes Well-Known Member

I know that, long time book seller of used/rare books.

I just don't this bit of information.

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

some folks just think that uncut pages make the book more rare.....

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

What's the book? If it's something people actually want to read, being unopened isn't going to help. If it's a wildly collectible title, it may have some curiosity value. I don't think there are that many people who collect books based on the technicalities of their manufacture.

Here's a thread on an unopened book I have (still unopened):
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/an-unopened-book.24240/#post-325148

Figtree3 likes this.
  6. 2manycats

2manycats Well-Known Member

Eh, mostly it's just proof the thing's never been read. Also a long-time bookseller here. Incidentally, the correct term, as moreotherstuff notes, is "unopened" - see Carter's ABC for Book Collectors under 'Uncut', which means, more obviously, untrimmed. There was a time when collectors preferred wide, original page margins, which were often trimmed (cut) by binders. Books with unopened margins were obviously uncut, so perhaps, at that time (a century or so ago), more desirable. Now the dust jacket's the sacred thing, sic tempus fugit.

7. Jon L

Jon L Well-Known Member

Unopened pages annoy the heck out of me. I try to read at least a good portion of the books I buy. I have never seen a premium asked for such pages. I have an exacto knife for dealing with that issue.

Draft saved Draft deleted