Is there anything special about this table?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Matthew Busch, Aug 10, 2024.

1. Matthew Busch

Matthew Busch New Member

Hello, Antiquers. This will be my first post.

I'm thinking about selling this scalloped edge, six-legged, antique side table. My initial Facebook Marketplace listing was for $10 (my mom's price) and got a flood of 50+ messages, so I figured I'd better pull back and re-evalute.

What would you pay for a table like this, and what can you tell me about it? Thanks!

IMG_7622.jpg IMG_7612.jpg IMG_7620.jpg IMG_7616.jpg

LauraGarnet02 and judy like this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Here in my semi-rural Midwest location, $10 is about right. Would make a good paint project. Might be worth more to some people and/or in a big city . Top damage negates any real value. Might shoot for $25 and see what happens.

Table is circa 1925. Had a walnut veneer top with lesser woods stained to match for the rest. Loosely based on William and Mary style.

3. Matahari

Matahari Well-Known Member

if your mother was happy with $10 , possibly it will make someone "with a project" extremely happy at that price.
    unlike verybrad I'd say $20 tops

to be honest, at 10, I prefer give it to thrift store and just make someone happy ....

Last edited: Aug 10, 2024
    johnnycb09 and judy like this.
  4. Tiquer

Tiquer Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but these kinds of posts bother me, as I've been on the end where I wanted to buy something and the seller did what you have just done. When you sell something, be honorable. Don't be greedy and stick people. My apologies but that is just rude.

johnnycb09 and judy like this.
  5. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

JMHO, but I don't see anything wrong with a seller pulling a potentially underpriced item for further research due to an unexpected amount of interest... unless a sale has already been agreed upon with a buyer. After all, the item belongs to the seller and they have every right to do with it as they see fit while it's still in their possession. "Potential" buyers have no rightful claims to it whatsoever.
    That said, I do agree that it is best to do your research before listing an item for sale.

6. Matthew Busch

Matthew Busch New Member

Yeah, I definitely didn't agree on anything with a buyer before pulling the item, and I agree that more research could have been done before listing. It was my mom's table to sell. I just put up the listing.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Now that I'm pretty sure there's nothing exceptional about the table, I'll probably list it for $20.

verybrad, bluumz and LauraGarnet02 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted