Is there anything special about this antique drop leaf table?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Bookahtoo, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

The old gentleman that we got this table from placed great importance on it because he bought it at Skinners.
    Can you help me with age and any other information? It does have one large repaired crack which really stands out.

IMG_2140.JPG

IMG_2139.JPG

IMG_2131.JPG

IMG_2132.JPG

IMG_2133.JPG

IMG_2134.JPG

IMG_2135.JPG

IMG_2136.JPG

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I don't see anything particularly special about it. It is old since each top part is a single board. Looks home made or maybe country made as opposed to city furniture shop made. Mixed woods. The hinged leaf support shown is pine. The skirt at the end photo looks to be cherry. Legs might also be pine. The top looks like poplar but I am not sure about that. looks a bit like elm as well.

3. Bookahtoo

Thank you Brad. Should I try to do anything about the crack? How much should I ask for it?

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Sorry for the delay in responding. I was out of town this past weekend. If the crack will close easily with clamps (test without glue first with minimal pressure.), you should be able to glue it. However, quite often, these cracks really do not close easily and gluing can cause them to put added stress in other areas and create new cracks. the best way to repair them is to put a spline of wood in the crack. This is a bit more involved and not everyone has the ability to cut the splines and do the repair correctly. If you don't think you can effectively repair this, it might be best to sell it as is and call it primitive.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  5. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

These tables are popular now with small kitchens or cottages,at least in Ca.;)

6. Bookahtoo

Thanks for responding Brad - I've been gone for the last week in NH without internet. I think I'll leave it alone.

Draft saved Draft deleted