Is there a name for this type of glass (amber / orange) glows bright red/yellow tones in UV light

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by aaroncab, Apr 14, 2017.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Picked these up recently and low and behold under black light they look really cool. Any name for this type of glass? Googling a bit I suspect it's a manganese/calcium combination in the glass that causes this effect - I'm curious if there's a common name for it?

Regular light:

33182708694_acd775e1ff_k.jpg

~
    UV Black light
    ~

33182702334_936dd66a66_k.jpg 33984899616_47000021a5_k.jpg 33640450230_401a3fb3b9_k.jpg

Joshua Brown likes this.
  2. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Common name for your vases color is amber. The UV craze has not hit amber yet. Have you checked to see what the UV does to other amber items? Are you using long or short wave UV?

3. aaroncab

Thanks George - I have several other amber glass items - which don't glow at all under UV light. Only these vases do. I'm not sure if my UV flashlight is long or short wave - not sure how I'd find out either. Bought it at the hardware store. It does make uranium and vaseline glass glow green.

Here's an example of the difference between these vases and another amber piece:

33881119122_07150d2b6a_k.jpg 33226250023_b6c71d8f59_kdev.jpg

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    judy likes this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

If you see this done by Whitefriars, it's referred to as golden amber. And it does indeed glow, just like their sapphire blue.

aaroncab and judy like this.
  5. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

I think the light is long wave. If you have a piece of glass with lead con tent try it. If long no reaction short will give a blue color.

aaroncab likes this.
  6. aaroncab

According to this it is long wave. Thanks George.

7. aaroncab

Thanks Owned! :)

Draft saved Draft deleted