Is Baltic Amber particularly valuable?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Edw, Jan 21, 2024.

1. Edw

Edw New Member

I’ve inherited a couple of items from my mother who was Polish. I’m pretty sure the amber is real in each piece although I don’t believe there is any fossilised creature within any of the stone. On a recent visit to Krakow last year, there was lots of amber being sold on the tourist markets making me think that it isn’t particularly valuable. What is your verdict?

Attached Files:

Bronwen likes this.
  2. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Certain types of amber can bring good prices but I don't see that in your pieces.
    However, wait for other opinions because my amber knowledge is rather basic.

Any Jewelry, Bronwen and wlwhittier like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

interesting bracelet design......if only we could see it better....

You might want to copy and save this for reference for a while....it helps when you're new!!!:rolleyes:

For Future reference, when posting images:

Each image MUST be UNDER 1 MB....
    There are instructions on site here on how to reduce the size of your image, if that is the problem......you are allowed up to 10 images per post!!! Here are some links to the instructions:

Try emailing them to yourself as "medium" size, they should then be under 1 MB!

If on the computer:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/posting-a-thread-and-uploading-pictures.15990/

If on an iPhone:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/resizing-photos-on-i-phone.35097/

And if on an Android phone:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/using-an-android-phone-for-pics-on-antiquers.41709/

As an added note, when you have your photos LISTED, BUT BEFORE you hit POST, please click on the wording that says to "INSERT EVERY IMAGE AS FULL IMAGE" !! That way, we're not clicking on little thumbnails, but get to see all of the images full sized!! Thanks! Remember, it takes a bit for MOST new members to get the hang of it, but it's really quite simple once you get used to it!!!" If you still have questions, DON'T hesitate to ASK!!!!

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Some Baltic amber can be ridiculously expensive, but I'm not seeing that here. Whole insects inside some of the pieces can up the value.

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Butterscotch amber is crazy expensive.

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Baltic Egg yolk amber is the most sought after and the most valuable of the Baltic ambers.

I can't see the colour of your amber very well, the photos are small, but they look to be cognac amber cabochons. Cognac amber is in the average price range, but it also depends on the rest of the jewel.

The jewellery looks Art Deco to me, hopefully silver. In this case the period adds more to the value than the amber.

Draft saved Draft deleted