Featured Is anyone here a jewelry appraiser?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by RachelW, Sep 6, 2024.

1. RachelW

RachelW Well-Known Member

I've been considering finding some online courses and getting certified as an antique jewelry appraiser. I think it'd be a good tool to have if I wanted to do it independently or work at an auction house. But I was looking into it and there's many many hours and even more money involved. With the ISA it's 1700 USD for one of their courses, plus their other required courses, the 200+ college level education hours, nearly 1000 hours work experience, and the 300 USD member application fee to start off.

I was wondering if any of you are appraisers or similar, and how you got started? It feels like a better option would be to find work at an auction house or antique shop once I move to a more metropolitan area and go from there.​

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The ISA is for North America, so only worth it if you are moving (back) to the US or Canada.

I looked into something similar years ago. I was looking at the official Dutch certificate for antiques and jewellery appraiser, which is recognized legally here and in the EU.
    I decided it wasn't worth the hassle and cost for me, because my energy level is so low that I would never be able to make a living from it. But if I were healthy I would have done it, and I would have gone that official route so I could earn money here in the EU.
    For the Dutch certificate a certain period of work for an auctioneer or recognized antiques shop was mandatory. I had my own antiques shop for a while, and I used to assist a prestigious Dutch antiques trader at antiques fairs. I believe the requirements are more lenient now.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2024
    Figtree3, RachelW, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  3. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

I think that because you love antique jewelry so much it might be a very viable career for you. In the past, didn't you say your current employer has a bit of a monopoly and isn't the best? Working your way to a job in a different sector and getting qualifications might be very exciting and interesting!

Figtree3, RachelW and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I've thought about it, but probably much work for no recompense.

RachelW likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

I think you have to do some research into what kind of course is officially recognized in the country/countries you want to work in.
    For instance, the EU doesn't recognize ISA, so if you're going to stay in France you'd need to do an extra course for a French/EU certificate. Without it you can advise people informally, but your work will have no legal foundation in the EU, and you can't present yourself as an appraiser.

RachelW, mirana and kyratango like this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

There’s no regulatory framework in the U.K.

RachelW and mirana like this.
  7. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Well-Known Member

To do it independently you will be essentially starting a business and would need to plan for business structure, liability insurance, understand the accounting and taxation issues, etc. The "unfun" parts of it :)

RachelW, Any Jewelry and mirana like this.
  8. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

She might start at someone else's business and that will help in learning those parts.

RachelW and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. RachelW

Sorry all, we did a car boot sale ('vide grenier') yesterday and then I was hired for a job in America that didn't start until 1am BEFORE the sale! Came home and slept for 14 hours after that haha. I did make 100 euros at the sale, most of which came from jewelry so I won't complain!

Thank you for all your replies. I mentioned the ISA as its the only one I could find with any reference to international....guess not lol!

Yes I'm getting a little frustrated honestly. I've made really good money in the last 9 months, but because I never get paid within 30 days of any job I do for them, I don't even have enough in my bank for a 3k car. Its been fun and I like working freelance, but I can't keep doing it like this. As I move forward in other directions, at the very least doing appraisals would keep me handling fantastic jewelry!

I already am registered a business in France for my freelance work, so I can just add appraisals to the list of whats included on my paperwork. Definitely something to think about in terms of insurance though. I think almost preferably I'd like to do appraisals at an auction house though, not sure if those sorts of positions come in part time format but it would handle the unfun parts as you say haha.

Figtree3, mirana, kentworld and 2 others like this.
  10. RachelW

Good to know, I'm a uk citizen so it might make sense to get a certificate there, and if need be do an extra course for France/EU.

11. RachelW

The course is 2000 pounds with the NAJ, and its described as a 'crucial first step' :eek:

Edited to add, the student must be in the jewelry trade for at least 3 years BEFORE applying to the course.

On the other hand, this seems to be the most straight forward course I've seen so far. 18 months of this course and then you can register as an appraiser in the UK...

Last edited: Sep 9, 2024
    Figtree3, mirana and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

And a minimum of three years trade experience, which is the same as the Dutch course I looked into.
    So I would start working for an auctioneer, and I imagine you could work part time.

mirana and RachelW like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Even if there is no regulatory framework in the UK, clients will look for someone with the right certificate, and so will insurance companies (who could be your biggest clients).

Figtree3, mirana and RachelW like this.
  14. RachelW

That does seem to be the way to go I think. I'll have to look around down to where I'm moving to see if there are any availabilities in either an auction house or perhaps an antique shop.

I appreciate your replies everyone!

Figtree3, mirana and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Good point.

RachelW likes this.
  16. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Good Luck......

RachelW likes this.
  17. Any Jewelry

If that is where you want to live, that is perfect. I know you feel more comfortable with the English language, so an English course sounds good for you.
    It might be worth checking to see if it is recognized in France/the EU, or if there is a way to get it registered in France/the EU.

RachelW likes this.
  18. RachelW

yes this will be something to check for sure. I think everything will be easier once I have my driving license, as I can start looking for work in this industry where I live now. I can't right now because my father would be driving me everywhere. Fingers crossed something works out soon!

19. Any Jewelry

Good luck!:) How are your driving lessons going?

RachelW likes this.
  20. RachelW

I've only had 3 hours but they're going well! Never driven before, even off road, first lesson was really me behind the wheel for 90 minutes hahaha. Steering at first, then acceleration, then gear changes, now doing more braking etc. Hopefully will get a few more hours in this week as I want my license before my UK trip in november.

Draft saved Draft deleted