Featured Is anyone an expert in ancient Chalices..I have something I am curious to know more about

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Toekneetang, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Toekneetang

Toekneetang New Member

its brass or copper based ...I don't know how to test gemstones, so I did a YouTube test where put styrofoam afloat above A container filled of water and plate the stone on top of the styrofoam and use a strong magnet to see if the gem pulls towards the magnet. And all of these did just that...but then again that is a YouTube instruction video I found, so it could be insignificant . I have no idea if this is something special or not..it look super super old..and you can seem art carvings all over when you are able to look up close..,I tried to show that in the pictures I took, but make sure not to mistake my reflection in some of the photos. IMG_0109.JPG IMG_0108.JPG IMG_0107.JPG IMG_0106.JPG

2. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

Did you remove the stones to test them? Just wondering....

Welcome to the boards by the way! Someone should be along soon who knows more then I do about such an item. :)

Christmasjoy, Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I was wondering that as well.

Welcome to the forum Toekneetang.
    The chalice is nicely made. It looks like a replica, maybe once used by a historic re-enactment group. The stones are glass.
    It could be an Arts & Crafts period piece, with that glass inlaid rim, but the metal doesn't look antique.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  4. opoe

opoe Well-Known Member

Be careful with the word "ancient", some people here think it must refer to millennia ago(egyptian, greco-roman times) ;)
    Welcome...

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    lloyd249, judy, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

The shape could be ancient, but the fleur de lis isn't.;)

judy, Christmasjoy, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  6. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Looks like a tourist item, or, as Any Jewelry noted, something for a reenactment. Looks like spun metal?

judy, Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Not sure yours can be called a "chalice" without a foot.

Debora

8. Any Jewelry

I was wondering about that. I wouldn't call it a chalice, but couldn't think what the alternative was. A cup with a rounded base?

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Toekneetang

Toekneetang New Member

So I read something really exciting....way back in the roman times, they had used an adhesive made up of. It had a stem at one point I imagine..,here is a pic of the bottom, it looked like this when i got it, so I don't know if someone tried to reattach using this black glue stuff or what...but also,,,upon close inspection..you can see carved art or " hieroglyphics" all carved into the piece...it's really odd... IMG_0178.JPG IMG_0177.JPG IMG_0179.JPG IMG_0171.JPG IMG_0187.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted