Iridescent Indian

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by JerryC, Oct 28, 2022.

1. JerryC

JerryC New Member

Hello, I recently came across this iridescent glass Indian in headdress. It measures 5 3/4" x 3 1/2", and has a beautiful purple, red and gold iridescence. It seems too top heavy for a paperweight or a bookend, what I originally thought it was. It is well made, with no visible markings or signature, there are no mold or manufacturing marks anywhere. The bottom is highly polished, and there are varying textures to the face and headdress areas. I'm curious as to the age and maker of the piece, any help would be greatly appreciated. I've found no others like it.

moreotherstuff likes this.
  2. Neece

Neece Active Member

Can you show a picture of the back and the bottom?

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I don't know anything bout it, but it has a Fenton-ish look to me.

4. JerryC

JerryC New Member

The back is crystal clear, so it is difficult to photograph. Straight on, a photo of the back looks perfectly identical to the front. There are no imperfections or air bubbles in the piece at all. It was purchased not far from Corning, NY, so it may be related to Corning Glass or artists? Just a guess .

5. JerryC

JerryC New Member

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think if it was Fenton, the full surface would be iridized.

JerryC likes this.
  7. JerryC

JerryC New Member

I thought so too, I thought it was originally, I have a couple known Fenton pieces that are iridescent. When I got it home and compared, the colors are much different and so is the feel of the glass. It actually feels cold, like crystal, but I don't think there is iridescent crystal? I noticed that it picks up the color of what's behind the piece, and it seems to glow from the back. I'm wondering if they left the back crystal clear on purpose?

8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Draft saved Draft deleted