Intricate cut glass tray. Maker?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lucille.b, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Any idea of the maker of this cut glass? Measures approximately 12 inches long. Photo #3 shown from underneath. Thanks for taking a look.

cut1.jpg cut3.jpg cut4.jpg cut2b.jpg

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  2. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

This molded and cut pattern on lead glass was imported from eastern europe in several shapes in the 1950 and 60. I do not recall have seen any details as to name or maker. I show well and looks great.

Lucille.b likes this.
  3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Lucille.b likes this.
  4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Lucille,
    Your plate is beautiful. Your photos are really nice also. I really like your plate.
    I always look at the edges, usually if they are beveled it is cut if not usually molded and cut. At first glance it looked all cut and ABP.
    greg

5. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

I have the same pattern in a pedestal bowl...at first glance..it really does look ABCG.. but the grey areas really confirm foreign cut glass.

6. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

cxgirl Thanks for coming back with the listing. This is excellent work but I still believe that the majoity of the patter is pressed just great finishing. These do show and sell well.

7. Lucille.b

Thanks to everyone, and wow, CXgirl --you found the exact one! Amazing!

So this would be pressed and then finished? I know very little about cut glass etc., but this piece (thrift) just seemed so intricate so I picked it up. I'm surprised to learn it was a newly made item. Was thinking 80 years old or something. Thanks for all the knowledge here.

8. gregsglass

Hi,
    Usually when you see those gray cut stars, think eastern Europe.
    greg

9. Lucille.b

Thanks Greg. I've heard the word "gray areas" mentioned twice in this thread, is "gray" glass terminology for frosted sections?

10. gregsglass

Hi,
    The gray sections are unpolished so they do not reflect the light like crystal, they do look lightly frosted
    greg

11. Lucille.b

Oh, that's what it means! Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  12. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted