International Flat Rate shipping envelope question

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Mill Cove Treasures, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

I haven't shipped something in a flat rate envelope for for some time. In the past, I would get one page that contained the label and the receipt. This morning I printed out a label and 4 pages came out instead, like the labels I usually put on a box with the added postal plastic sleeve.

Did something change? Do I need all 3? Or was it a mistake and do I just tape the first label on the envelope as always? Thank you.

Joshua Brown likes this.
  2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

following

Joshua Brown likes this.
  3. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

1st class international gives 1 page. Priority international gives 4 pages. One is your copy, the others go with the package. Ask a postal worker for a clear sleeve envelope to apply to the package.

antidiem and Joshua Brown like this.
  4. tyeldom3

Oh and sign all copies.

5. Mill Cove Treasures

Thank you. I never had to put all three copies with the international flat rate envelopes n the past. That's why I was surprised to get all 4 copies. I've used the sleeves with boxes but never with the envelopes.

antidiem, Joshua Brown and tyeldom3 like this.
  6. tyeldom3

Actually, now that I think about it, I haven't shipped flat rate envelope international in a while either, so my brain doesn't remember. :dead::joyful:
    Maybe wait for someone else. My one track mind was only thinking of Priority vs 1st class.
    Do your 4 copies have different copies saying customer copy, post office copy, etc?

7. Mill Cove Treasures

Yes, it's the same copies I get when I ship a box. I'm going to stop at the post office and ask them. I have to go by on the way to appointment. I will post back when I get home and let you know what they said.

Joshua Brown likes this.
  8. Mill Cove Treasures

They said "They think the one copy is all it needs". ?

9. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

They "think"....? Better get confirmation. Honestly with all the shipping I do, sometimes I think we know more than the postal clerks nowadays. I would check because you don't want something getting hung up in customs.

Disclaimer: I've never shipped International w/envelopes. So if it used to be 1 sheet, wondering if possibly it has changed.

Quick story: Had a shipment going to Japan in a small box a few months ago. Had quoted International First Class. Item sold at $438, and Ebay shipping directed me to Priority Shipping because First Class is only used for $400 and below. Could it be the value of the item?

Did you print it out on Ebay? Not that I have complete faith in Ebay, but the shipping seems to just automatically do the right thing. Perhaps if rules have changed, that is what is going on.

You could try the USPS 800 number, but get your speaker phone and be ready to be on hold.

My only concern is that if it printed 4 sheets, you can't just use 1 of the 4, you would need an entirely new label. (I think...)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  10. Mill Cove Treasures

Definitely not the value. My post office was great until last year when they replaced everyone. Now, it's a nightmare. I printed the label from Paypal.

11. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Personally I would use the plastic sleeves that you use on Priority International packages & then sign/ include the three sheets. The fourth sheet is for your records & says senders copy at the bottom.

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  12. gimbler-dave

gimbler-dave Well-Known Member

Bercrystal is correct -- I sent one this morning using the Priority Padded Flat Rate. Put the 1st three pages (each signed and dated) into the clear sleeve and attach to the envelope.Tip: put the pages into the clear sleeve first, then remove the backing. This makes it easier to handle. Also, we usually tape the edges down with clear tape (I saw a postal worker do this when we used to go into the post office & drop off). This helps to ensure that it doesn't get snagged and pulled off while being processed. Also, sometimes you find old stock that isn't quite as sticky. Hope that helps ... Dave

antidiem and Mill Cove Treasures like this.
  13. gimbler-dave

We use the Priority Padded Flat Rate now for any items small enough to fit. It is actually large enough to hold many small boxes, so you can get box level protection at a reasonable cost. We almost always box items first, then place inside the padded envelope.

antidiem and Mill Cove Treasures like this.
  14. Mill Cove Treasures

I wonder when they changed from the single label? I have sleeves so it isn't a problem. I'm getting lazy and it easier with the single. :p

I always use padded flat rates when a box will fit inside. I've been boxing smaller items and use large padded envelopes for first class shipping too. It keep the costs low. Thanks for all the suggestions and help. :)

15. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

A little offtopic. I stopped using International Priority Flat Rate because they are nothing but First Class Mail when it comes to tracking once they leave the US.
    To be on the safe side I do First Class + Registered.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    antidiem likes this.
  16. gimbler-dave

It seems that the tracking is more a function of the destination country and whether they are set up to scan items. I just sent a small bubble envelope to France by First Class International and it tracked to the destination. Amazingly, it was sent on May 26 and scanned as delivered on June 1 (wow, nice job post offices in both countries!). On other items, I see tracking until the item leaves the US, then nothing after that and have to hope that the item made it, so kardinalisimo is correct to be concerned. I'm pretty sure when I do the label in eBay, it tells me if tracking is available for that country (and if not, I think it still partially tracks while in the US).

17. Mill Cove Treasures

Kard, when you do First Class + Registered do you get a confirmation that it was delivered?

Draft saved Draft deleted